T1i Video: 1080 20p or 720 24p?

I'm shooting a short film on the Canon T1i 500D, which is pretty limited on video options. It shoots 1080, but at a bizarre 20 frames a second! In order to reach normal speeds like 30 or 24 frames, it must use 720.

Can 20 frames per second be shown on television or in the theater? Will film festivals accept this frame rate? Will there be problems in playback online?

I dont know much about the t1i and what it can and cant do.

But shooting a whole film at 20fps will probably not look and feel the way you probably want it to. You can still use it but generally it is now reserved for scenes like action scenes so the movement seems faster.

I would just shoot 720, there is nothing wrong with that.

Agreed, 720.

Unless... If it's short (a long format film shot this way would drive people nuts) try the 20p and see what it looks like. If you mess with the shutter speed it might give a pretty cool look? Or you can speed everything up 20% where 24 frames happen in a second (5 seconds shot = 4 seconds final). Just have all the actors move a little slower ;)

+1 for 720p. If anything do a test video with the 1080 at 20fps of just random things. For example put it on a tripod and run around in front of it in different directions, record movement while holding it, record in different lighting environments. Then have someone other than yourself watch you footage and see if they felt it played funny to them. Perhaps dont even tell them what you are wanting to know, just have them watch it and see if they say, "It looks laggy" or something along those lines.

I can say I use a 23" monitor and 720p videos from youtube look great. Like videos from Film Riot. So if you use 720p it will be good all around I think.

i agree with all these people... 720...

no reason to try and waste frames just so you can go up to 1080... its not really that big of a deal to be 720 or 1080... especially since a lot of broadcasted shows on tv... in 720... just because it says hd doesnt mean its 1080 hd...

720 is still hd... and its still great...

Back