Canon EF 400mm f/2.8

On our recent project, Noble, we rented one mama-jama lens (among some more standard ones) to pull off a couple of shots. The thing is mammoth, we had a lot of fun with it so I thought I would share some behind the scenes pics of it.

The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 lens WITH a 2x Extender in place.

With Lens Hood and Extender on a T mount (for sniper perspective shots):
400mm-01.jpg

Prepping on the dolly:
400mm-02.jpg

To compare between the two, here's the same shot through a 50 mm and the 400 + extender, before any color correction:

50mm (7D 1.6 crop factor)
400mm-03.jpg

800mm (7D 1.6 crop factor)
400mm-04.jpg

Was a lot of fun, but obviously not something you use often.

Ive been tossing up purchasing either this or the 500mm to shoot alot of surfing on the 5ds. Any tips?

Make sure you get IS. It goes to jello fast with any movement and that far of a focal length. The 800 (400 with extender) was unusable with the wind shaking the camera on a tripod (very windy).

It's a nice lens for sure. Weighs like 40 pounds or something, be sure you have suport.

Yeh it's sitting on a satchler 20s1 so hopefully no probs with wind shake. Do you loose much image quality with an extender?

The biggest problem with the 2x extender is that you lose two stops of light (the 1.4x loses one stop) - so your 400mm f/2.8 effectively becomes a 800mm f/5.6. There's always going to be some quality loss when using extenders, but when shooting video it really shouldn't be too noticeable.

The biggest problem with the 2x extender is that you lose two stops of light (the 1.4x loses one stop) - so your 400mm f/2.8 effectively becomes a 800mm f/5.6. There's always going to be some quality loss when using extenders, but when shooting video it really shouldn't be too noticeable.

yep, and note it was bright exterior shot. Should work fine there. I'd imagine you'd want as tight an aperature as possible too.

Right, the aperture changed but I didn't notice any real quality loss. If you plan on using an extender, know that they don't work with every canon lens. Might check before you purchase. I'm not in the office today, but tomorrow I'll post some frames that show the difference between the extender on and off.

Those are textbook "flat" shots as well. They'll look great after grading.

Thanks! We shot it all as flat as we could for this reason. You can see the final color-graded product in this thread.

Back