View Full Version : Could anyone recommend a purchase?

Dannabis
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi guys, finally found enough money to get myself a half decent camera. Looking to grab a second hand one (unless advised otherwise). I have a budget of up to 2'000, I'm sure there is someone on here with enough experience to advise a decent camera for this budget! Any help and/or links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Alcove Audio
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM
What other equipment do you have? Include computer and software.

BTW - approximately 35% on the camera, 35% on the audio the rest on accessories.

Dannabis
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I have an iMac with Final Cut Pro, and I have a friend who has just completed an audio-related degree course (not sure exactly which one) and has some decent equipment who I'll be working with most of the time. I'm mainly looking for a camera with high quality visual aspects, with a lot of manual control i.e. manual focus etc...

PaulGriffith
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm mainly looking for a camera with high quality visual aspects, with a lot of manual control i.e. manual focus etc...

Have you looked into the Canon DSLR's at all? For 2k you could get the camera, lens or two and audio gear. Or would you rather stick with a more traditional camcorder?

Dannabis
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, was kind of looking for a more traditional camcorder. Had a quick go on a PD170 back in the college days, but didn't really have enough time to form an opinion on it. If I remember correctly, they're relatively cheap second hand, I could be wrong though.

Alcove Audio
02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Just be sure that your camera interfaces with the Mac without problems, and keep your software up-to-date.

See if you can lock in an audio equipment list; you may have to fill in a few holes.

And again, you'll need all the accessories - tripod, lighting (even if it's the Home Depot kind), slate, C-stands, etc. The accessories will last you through numerous cameras.