how's this kit of lenses (3 for my canon 7D)

obviously for video - i'm considering getting these 3 lenses

for wide angle, the tokina 12-24, i wanted the 11-16 but you'd have to search the crevices of hell to find it
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594648-REG/Tokina_ATX124DXIIC_12_24mm_f_4_AT_X_124AF.html

for close ups, the canon 50mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-GREY/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

for medium shots, the sigma 30mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381615-REG/Sigma_300101_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html

opinions? is this a good kit for my limited budget? i just got my 7D yesterday, ive used others in the past, but i'm fairly new

if there are any alternatives that would better suit me within the same price ranges, please let me know

if you're doing video with minimal photography then there is nothing wrong with older slr lens. I personally have the super takumar 50mm f1.4 and the super takumar 35mm f3.5

if you're doing video with minimal photography then there is nothing wrong with older slr lens. I personally have the super takumar 50mm f1.4 and the super takumar 35mm f3.5

^^^^ agree...

i have the 50mm 1.4
and the 28mm 1.4

plus some other primes like the 135 and 80

and a 75 to 300...

plus a few nd filters, polarizers and star filters... the polarizer is great for car stuff...

now all i have to do is up grade my 1d mk II (which doesnt do movies hahahaha) to a 5dmkII or the 7d ...

all my lenses are cheap... but i get paid decenlty to do photography as a hobby... so dont let anyone tell yeah cheap is bad... as long as you know how to use it you can get away with using anything ghetto...

i mean seriously my 1dmkII is acient... and should have died years ago hahahahahah

Updated my bag

I ordered the tokina 12 24
Next Im getting
Canon 50mm
The canon 85mm
Then eventually the canon 28mm

can u guys refer me to polarizers I'd need and a good monitor in a price range of a couple hundred dollars ?

Also what kind of rig would I need to put the monitor on the 7d

this is a great thread. :) so for someone starting out like me, shooting short films and what not; what sort of lenses would be good to use?

I see that the Super Takumar lenses are relatively cheap, but are they good / better than the kit lens?

Ian

Almost anything is better than the kit lens. Almost.

With that budget, I would opt for a canon 50m 1.4 instead of the 50 1.8 and 30mm. The 50 1.8 is a hunk of plastic, and I've yet to meet an operator who's really happy with the focus ring. If that's all you can afford that's one thing, but you can get better.

I would also get a 28 1.8 instead of the wide zoom... Maybe... That wide is nice.

No, I was refering to the Takumar M42 50mm 1.4! How does it compare to the canon 50mm prime?

I really need some new glass, because I can't get sharp enough video on the kit lens.

What do you think guys? For starting out, is the takumar 50mm 1.4 good for the price, I mean the reviews are fantastic!
There are different manufactures I see, like SMC and Asahi.. I'm confused

Edit:

Actually I went ahead and bought a Takumar 50mm 1.4 prime with a M42 adapter, I was sold when looking at youtube and the spectacular DOF.
Cost me $130 with shipping. I know I could of gotten it cheaper, but I wanted

Last edited:
as for filters...

polarizers

honestly... polarizers are a must if you are dealing with reflective surfaces... ie water, cars, buildings... or wet skin... i know someone out there deals in the adult industry hahahahahah

ND (neutral density)

great for sunny days or some were you want to make a nice blur effect with water because you can lower your shutter speed in the day light with out effecting the color...

a half nd filter is even better because you can do it with only half of the filter... IE the sky but not the ground

Cross filters/hatched filters/ Star filters (i have heard them called many things)

they are the ones that create the pretty star effect on lights at night... but... some cameras wont work enough to use these because they dont have a low enough apature number to get a good blur off of the filter... and it ends up just makeing lines across it hahahahhahahah... found that out the hard way hahahaha

also... gels...

i am not a gel fan... but some people in here are... they are good for setting mood lighting...

so anyone else want to go in detail

as for filters...

polarizers

honestly... polarizers are a must if you are dealing with reflective surfaces... ie water, cars, buildings... or wet skin... i know someone out there deals in the adult industry hahahahahah

ND (neutral density)

great for sunny days or some were you want to make a nice blur effect with water because you can lower your shutter speed in the day light with out effecting the color...

a half nd filter is even better because you can do it with only half of the filter... IE the sky but not the ground

Cross filters/hatched filters/ Star filters (i have heard them called many things)

they are the ones that create the pretty star effect on lights at night... but... some cameras wont work enough to use these because they dont have a low enough apature number to get a good blur off of the filter... and it ends up just makeing lines across it hahahahhahahah... found that out the hard way hahahaha

also... gels...

i am not a gel fan... but some people in here are... they are good for setting mood lighting...

so anyone else want to go in detail

Yup, polarisers, NDs and ND grads are all very useful… NDs are used to compensate for shutter speed more in stills photography though, for film and video they are only really used to control the aperture and thus depth of field. I'd also recommend an appropriately sized UV/skylight filter for each lens as protection (and most of the Canon L series require a filter to complete the weather-sealing).

You won't get very far in film lighting without using gels, but they fall into a different category anyway - filters manipulate the whole image and are the domain of the camera department, whereas gels are used to shape and colour individual light sources.

Yup, polarisers, NDs and ND grads are all very useful… NDs are used to compensate for shutter speed more in stills photography though, for film and video they are only really used to control the aperture and thus depth of field. I'd also recommend an appropriately sized UV/skylight filter for each lens as protection (and most of the Canon L series require a filter to complete the weather-sealing).

i agree its more for photography... but there are many timelapse videos shot with slow shutterspeed to make a very very nice fast paced calming effect... so basically i guess its more like timelapse photography turned into a video hahahahahaha so yeah... its used for photography

You won't get very far in film lighting without using gels, but they fall into a different category anyway - filters manipulate the whole image and are the domain of the camera department, whereas gels are used to shape and colour individual light sources.

definitely...

which is something... i haven't got into enough... because i do candid style stuff... i do action stuff like drifting skateboarding vids.... but during some of the up coming skits were we act fullish between the drifting... i think i might have to mess with gels

Back