Need some input on camera decision..

I am going out either today or tomorrow to purchase a new camera to start filmmaking again, and after a few hours of research last night I've narrowed down my choice pretty much to the Canon HF-M30 HD cam. My budget is max $450, and it seems to fit my budget just fine. However if any of you knowledgeable people out there have any other suggestions that are in that price range, please let me know! I do have a list of musts though:
-External Mic Input
-Manual focus/iris/WB
-Good, quality HD

As far as types of projects, looking to start doing short films and the such about anything that comes to my mind. After I get the cam I plan to get a boom and shotgun mic, not sure what else to get immediately besides that though...

That said, I also have another subquestion...I found a Canon GL1 someone is selling on Craigslist for $350...a scam or a steal? I'd like a GL1, but his price doesn't seem to match other used prices on other websites. Camera is, according to him, in full working condition and used 12 times for interviews and then put away. Any info on that and the prior question would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I've seen similar deals for GL1s on my Craigslist. I don't think it's a scam, but it's a good idea to be careful. Meet with the seller and try to test it out first.

There's no question that a GL1 is superior to some cheap HD camcorder. Resolution is just one of many metrics for measuring image quality. You should jump on that offer!

I think the lesson here is that craigslist is an excellent place to buy a camera.

Thank you for your advice. I'll check the GL1 out asap and I hope it's still available. It seems that every electronics store within a 20 mile radius of me though is sold out of the Canon model I mentioned, and they are all saying a new model is going to be released in March, do you or anyone else know anything about the new one?

the GL1 is SD right? might be a factor,... just because people are listing them at $800 doesn't mean anyone's buying.

And the GL2.

For a first camera for just messing around, sure. Some quality learning can come from this camera, and after a while, part of that learning will have you pining for another camera...

...which is a good lesson because there is always a cooler camera. Just don't pay too much for this one.

Thanks for the extra input. This will actually be my 2nd camera, my first was a Canon Elura 100 MiniDV that I had alot of fun with a few years ago. Now I'm looking for something HD so that I can at least get better picture quality, but I'm not to the point, budget-wise or experience-wise, to get something Prosumer, unless of course I can nab a GL1/GL2 for in the $400 range. I still need to purchase a boom and mic as well, so even though the thought of a GL1 might be nice, it might not be the best option now since I am still learning and experimenting.

I think the GL1 is an excellent camera to learn and experiment with. I'm a tad biased, though, cuz that's the camera I first learned and experimented with. If you can get one for a few hundred dollars, that's a nice inexepensive option.

After the GL1, I purchased a Sony VX2100, and it serviced me well. superamazing is right -- there's more to the quality of a camera than just resolution. The VX2100 is pretty much Sony's equivalent of the GL1, and I was able to sell it for $1,200 just one year ago. Yes, people are still buying these cameras. Point being, to reiterate -- if it is in perfect working order, $350 is a good buy.

Thanks CrackerFunk. I actually took a cruise around Ebay just now and found a good amount of GL1's going for auction from $150-300, and a couple Buy-It-Now's for around $400. I'm kinda weary about the one's that are in the 15-200's just because there are no returns and I'm going off pictures and the person's word alone, unless that sounds like a good price to any of you? I'll gladly pay more to make sure that I am getting a full working GL1, just 150-200 sounds a little too low for the pictures they put up for them. What do you guys think? Sorry for asking so much I just don't want to lose out on the money I have saved for a new cam. Thank you!

$150-$300 seems reasonable for such an old camera. $400 is a good price, too.

As always on eBay caveat emptor. Check the sellers history, send them an email.

Yep, I am always cautious when I'm eBay, it's a great place to buy and sell but it has it's dark side...

In other news, I've about given up trying to find the Vixia HF-M30, alot of people seem to like it on here but they have officially discontinued it for a new model coming out. I went back and did some more homework, and this is the list I've narrowed down now:
-Used Canon HV30
-Used Canon GL1
-Sony HDR-CX150

I've been researching on Youtube and Vimeo and it seems they have great HD quality (with exception of the GL1, of course), but the Sony one is iffy...I've not been a fan of most of their cameras and camcorders over the years, but reviews seem to be 50/50 on it. It's also a little outta my price range since I still want to get the audio equipment I mentioned before. Anyone have experience/advice regarding the Sony's?

Yep, I am always cautious when I'm eBay, it's a great place to buy and sell but it has it's dark side...

In other news, I've about given up trying to find the Vixia HF-M30, alot of people seem to like it on here but they have officially discontinued it for a new model coming out. I went back and did some more homework, and this is the list I've narrowed down now:
-Used Canon HV30
-Used Canon GL1
-Sony HDR-CX150

I've been researching on Youtube and Vimeo and it seems they have great HD quality (with exception of the GL1, of course), but the Sony one is iffy...I've not been a fan of most of their cameras and camcorders over the years, but reviews seem to be 50/50 on it. It's also a little outta my price range since I still want to get the audio equipment I mentioned before. Anyone have experience/advice regarding the Sony's?

Far from the most awesome, the HV30 is still a camera you can creative with. http://vimeo.com/3262513

Back