Need Camera Recommendations

I am going to be shooting some musical instructionals and need some advice. At times I will need two cameras rolling with (one showing hands, one feet). It is crucial that the sound is synced perfectly since I will then put them together (PIP).

What I need is HD, inexpensive and synced sound. I've been out of the loop for so long I have no idea of the technology these days.

Thanks.

What you really want to research is editing software that has multi-camera capability. They sync will be largely up to you, but it's something you'll get the hang of.

I imagine sound will be important as this is related to music, but good sound really can't be done bare bones on the cheap. This relates to your camera selection and some other considerations. What is your budget?

It's really just for drumming so the tone, etc. isn't that important. As long as we're not popping all over the place it should be good enough.

Budget? For now whatever I can get away with. Some stuff could even be done with an HD Flip, but would want everything tripoded so that it's not shaking all over the place.

Good point about the software. I'm on a Mac if there are any recommendations.

What I need is HD, inexpensive and synced sound

Musical instrument instruction videos are expected to have solid sound.

Are you showing the whole kit or just kick, snare and hats? Is the instructor speaking at the same time? What audio gear do you have available to you?

If I was going to record the audio the minimum would be the instructors lav, a mic on the kick, a mic on the snare/hats and overhead mics. They would each be recorded on a separate track so they could be mixed later. You could probably rent all of that plus a multichannel audio interface for the Mac for around $100 to $150 for a weekend. You could use any of a number of DAWs as your audio recorder and for use later to mix to picture.

The poor-man's camera is the Canon T2i. It's awesome. The Panasonic GH1 looks tempting, as well. You'll need an external audio recorder. And a good mic.

Or, to be honest, you could just get any old HD camcorder. Sounds like you're not really trying to win any awards for cinematography?

Don't worry about syncing audio. Regardless of your camera selection, I think you'd probably be best off recording audio seperately. Syncing audio in post is incredibly easy and fast. Especially if you're syncing drums!

As for editing software, if you don't already have something, for your purposes, I'd recommend Sony Vegas HD.

Also, I agree with Alcove -- if you're giving musical instructions, it better sound good.

Fair enough. Yes, the sound should be of quality.
For now I am focusing on the camera and then will consult an audio engineer.

I'll check out the a fore mentioned ones. I currently have a DVX100a, but that's not HD. I also have a Nikon D90 which I believe shoots video but I've never tried. I imagine an HD camcorder would be a better option...or would it?

Here at indietalk the camera of choice is the DSLR. I'm the only
one who isn't on that band wagon.

The Nikon 90D does shoot video. Not one of the better cameras
for that but it will shoot video in HD. The audio is terrible (as it is
with all DSLR cameras) so you will need an external recorder and
mic. When you ask for "inexpensive" and " whatever I can get
away with "what is your price range for an HD camera?

I don't my wife will let me play around with her D700...

Price, for now let's say under $1000. As far under as possible. I'm looking for something to put together a pilot of sorts (for myself but want to see what kind of product I'm working with). If things go well then price won't be as much of an issue (hopefully!).

Okay, in the under $1,000 range there are six. Since your primary requirement
is that the sound is synced perfectly you will need an HD camera that has a mic
input.

Sony CX100
Canon FS200
Canon R100
Canon HF M31
Canon HF M40
Panasonic HDC-TM700

Back