Minolta XL-440 sound questions

Hi there,

I am new to super-8 films, but i really want to have one.
So here are some questions:

I am about to buy a Minolta XL-440 sound.
Now i saw that it has a monitor plug on it. Can i wire that to my video capturing card?

Does the KODAK EKTACHROME 100D has a sound band?
Does it still has that old super 8 look? Or does it look more like a bad HQ camcorder?
Can i use the tapes again?

Or what other ways are there to get the film on my PC?

I hope you guy's can help me out with these questions. Since the camera was out 10years before i was even born :)

I love that camera!

I am about to buy a Minolta XL-440 sound.
Now i saw that it has a monitor plug on it. Can i wire that to my video capturing card?
I'm not sure I understand.

Does the KODAK EKTACHROME 100D has a sound band?
Does it still has that old super 8 look? Or does it look more like a bad HQ camcorder?
Can i use the tapes again?
No, their is no sound band (magnetic stripe) on the film.

Since it is super 8 film is still looks like super 8 film. What
is doesn't look like is the old (and very distinct) Kodachrome
film.

No you can't use film again. Super 8 does not record to tape,
it shoot film.

Or what other ways are there to get the film on my PC?
The process is called telecine. The lab will process the film
and transfer it to a digital file of your choice.

the"monitor" is for sound. the only way you will view what the camera is recording is the eyepiece and of course getting the film developed. If you want sound w/ super 8, you will need to record externally and combine in post production

While i was shooting my first feature (on super 8mm) I came across a machine on ebay that would sound strip super 8 film. I wouldn't advise to use it. super 8 sound has always been awful and runs ahead of the picture so editing (on film) is out of the picture. But it was a neat old machine.
if your buying a camera we loved the Beaulieu 4008

Can you please ignore all my above posts ;)

This is what i found out:

My minolta is not compatible with the Ektachrome 100D cassettes.
At http://www.super8camera.com/cameras.php you can find all the super 8 camera's wich can still be used today.

To develop you need a LOMO tank. The 15m/50ft tank not the 10m/30ft tank. Those are going on ebay for 150-200$. If you want to make a cheap one yourself visit this site:
http://www.peaceman.de/blog/index.php/inexpensive-super-8-home-processing-tank

With that i sorted everything out i needed to know on super 8 movies.

18 and 19 march i will shoot my first movie with it. Stay tuned i will post it here.

Back