What lenses?

Hello, I have just bought the Canon 550d (t2i) and it came with a 18-55 mm lens, now i have no idea what the lenses do and would like some information about them, and what ones would be great for shooting in low light conditions and help me get that film look.

Thanks

First, try shooting some stuff with just the kit lens, it's versatile enough for some great experiments.

For low-light conditions; the wider the aperture on the lens (the lower the f.number) the more light can be let in, and therefore the more versatile it is for low-light. Also, the wider the aperture, the shallower the depth of field... generating that film look you're after. This rule also works the opposite way:
[smaller aperture (bigger f number) = less light, deeper focus]

The f.number on the lenses you can buy refers to the widest aperture it can be set to. If it's a zoom lens, you might have 2 f numbers, these refer to the lowest f number that can be set the the two extremes of the len's zoom.

As a first additional purchase, I'd recommend the 50mm f1.8 (or the f1.4 if you've got a bit of extra cash)

Happy shooting,
Smith

I have the T2i I have :
Kit lens 18-55
Canon 50mm 1.8 << $99 new
Contax Yaschica 135mm << Bought Used for $130
Phoenix 24mm 2.8 w/ Contax mount << Bought new for $79
Phoenix 28-210mm 3.5 w/ Contax mount << Bought new for $129

....and some Contax to EOS adapters..

I am looking to get an 85mm lens to round things out. The kit lens has Image stabilization and it is the only one I feel that needs it since it is the only one I will mount on a shoulder rig or my cheapo poor man's steadicam. My longer lenses are always mounted on a tripod since the longer focal length makes them unsuitable for moving around during shooting.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind the 1.6 crop factor with the 550D, so if you want the field of view of a 50mm you need to use 28-30mm. A 50mm will act as an 80mm which is a little tight for most indoor shooting.

Sigma makes an ef f/1.4 30mm that is highly regarded for the 550D or the 7D.

Back