making movie (problems with camera)

hey folks, i really need you help. so, i am making a feature films for a theatrical realease ( i am from georgia, not a state in USA :) it’s a country in europe ) i have problems associated with choosing a best suited camera for my movie.
so far only this options are available for me :
1. Canon EOS 5D mk2 ( i read that it has no 24p, but i also read that they added this feature)
2. Canon XH-A1 HDV-DV Camera / The Redrock M2 35mm Adapter,
3. Sony hdr fx7 /The Redrock M2 35mm Adapter.
which of this options will give me a great quality? ( please also state your new options )
sorry for my english :)

You need A LOT more than a camera - lighting, sound, electric and a thousand other things. As much as owning everything is nice renting may be a much better option.

Why not give us your budget and then we can give you an idea of how to allocate your funds.

welli already have light and the sound equipment of course with the proffesionals operating them. i have only one problem to solve: CAMERA.. i don't know which camera will give me a desirable quality. :( so that's why i am asking help

You can get great images w/ all 3 cameras IMO... the 5D mkII can do some things the other 2 cannot. The other will do things the 5D cannot. the Camcorders will be better suited for production and usability. The 5D will offer more artistic options. Will you be using a DOP? , they will have a preference.

If no DOP.. I'll ask why you think you are qualified to make a movie without mastering a camera ? You need mastery of the tools to entertain. Mastery of Camera, Lighting, Directing, Sound, FX,, Editing.....etc

HOWEVER.. I was a master of none and made a horrid movie myself. I wish I would have used the time and $$ going slower... but i did learn... made a crappy movie, but I learned a lot from the experience.... GOOD LUCK !

Last edited:
IndieBudget i am more a producer and i'll get DOP, but before getting them, i just want to know every aspects of my crew's work. in my country there are not so much professionals and that's why i am worried and that's why i ask questions in here. i already talked to 3 DOP, all three gave me different informations ( well the difference was not so big, but it was different ) i assume that here i'll got more honest and professional advices :)

welli already have light and the sound equipment of course with the proffesionals operating them. i have only one problem to solve: CAMERA.. i don't know which camera will give me a desirable quality. :( so that's why i am asking help

I don't want to sound condescending but... Good for you!!! We mostly get newbs who don't even think about those things.

Since you have retained professionals for lighting and sound why not ask your DP what s/he wants to use? I personally would like the person I hired use the equipment they are most comfortable with. At that level and above it's not a question of "better" but function/options and user comfortability.

i already talked to 3 DOP, all three gave me different informations ( well the difference was not so big, but it was different ) i assume that here i'll got more honest and professional advices :)
If you talk to 3 more DP's you will get 3 more different options. You
will not get more honest advice here than from the person you choose
to shoot your movie.

I could give you MY opinion, but I will not be shooting your movie. To be
honest if you were to use me and then tell me you chose the camera
not based on what I am comfortable shooting with, but you chose a
camera based on what people in indietalk said, I wouldn't be happy.

Of the three you mention I would NOT want to shoot with number 1, I
have shot with number 2 and don't like that camera and I'm not a fan
of the lens adaptor even though I like the FX7. If you were to ask me I
would want to shoot with the JVC HM700. However, if you asked a different
DP he might prefer the 5D. Does that make him less honest? Or me?

My point (sorry I got a little long winded) is you find your DP first, then use
the camera he want to use. Do not listen to MY choice.

The main point is that a great DOP can do wonders with a Flip Mino and a hack can screw up royally w/ a RED cam. There are quite a few features shot w/ a Canon HV20 that look great.... I'd suggest find a DOP you like the work of best and follow his or her advice.

I'd rather have the pro w/ a $150.00 cam than a novice w/ a $20,000 cam. It's the master not the tool that counts in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back