• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recording sound 16mm

I'm looking to shoot a short film on 16mm. I've been looking at options for cameras and sound recording. Me, nor my crew has much money. in fact, we're on a shoestring budget. I've looked at Bolex H16 cameras, but I know they are noisy and are non-sync. But what about Arriflex cameras (not newer models)? Also I've heard of people making a homemade blimp for Bolex H16 or I guess using styrofoam or similar materials to reduce the noise. Does this actually work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Homemade blimps works. You can use sound blankets draped over the camera as well. You may need to get creative with camera angles though. The farther away from the mic the better if it is noisy.

I've looked at Bolex H16 cameras, but I know they are noisy and are non-sync.

The noisy film drive is one thing, but the "non-sync" issue is a potential nightmare. Trust me, I've been there. Find a crystal-sync camera, and while you're at it look for a quiet one.

When I shot my 16mm feature I used a CP-16 (1960's-era news camera). It was crystal-sync'ed, but the motor and gate made a helluva racket. Had to encase myself in sound blankets, which meant I couldn't hear what the actors were doing. Don't recommend that, either.

Back