Camera & Gear for Documentary Film?

Hello, All
I'm looking to make a documentary film of my brother graduating High School and doing a Ironman Triathlon. I have a budget around $10,000 for all my gear (Camera, Lenses, Tripod, Mics, Stabilizers, etc...) but what to get? I've looked at so many products and have just got lost in the camera world... So I'm asking for help! I'm going to be doing some scenic shots( sun sets, mountains, lake views.. you get the point) , following a biker/runner, doing interviews... I was thinking of a setup like the picture below but still I get to the point that don't know what camera and lenses to get!
cameraz.jpg

Recommendations, Personal Experiences, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Newbie Robbs

Camera - JVC GY-HM100 - use the stock lens.
Tripod - Manfrotto 545B Professional Tripod Legs with Mid-Level Spreader
Manfrotto 503HDV Fluid Head
Stabilizer - Anton Bauer STASIS FLEX Shoulder Mount Camera Stabilizer
Easyrig 2.5 200N Stabilizing Camera Support

I'll let our resident audio expert Alcove Audio offer mic suggestions.

The big questions...

1 - Are you going to have someone working the sound for you?

2 - How much are you allocating towards sound?

3 - How much experience do you have with audio; and how much experience with production sound?

4 - Is it going to be mostly run & gun or set-ups? If it's run & gun, what type? (Are you in vehicles or on foot, etc.?) Are you doing interviews or strict documentation or a combination thereof?

What audio gear you will need are all wrapped up in the answers to those questions. You could easily spend half of your budget on audio.

As always, you may want to look into hiring a production sound mixer; it's usually the most cost effective way to get great sound.

Back