Canon HF- M30 Hood+UV Filter

Hi,
I know that my Canon HF-M30 has a 37mm thread to attach to the lens. I found a nice lens hood online, that extends out and has a lens cap on it, but I also found a UV filter at my local store. Is it possible for me to put the UV Filter on first, and the lens hood on top of that? If not, which one is more important? (I'm leaning towards the hood, it extends out to block light as well, but I like how it has the cap for storage) Thanks for any help!

Usually the UV filter will have 37mm receiving threads on its outer edge, so you can put the UV filter on first and then attach the hood to the UV filter. That's what I do.

UV filters are important simply to put something between the irreplaceable camera lens and rocks, stones, pinecones, etc.

Yep, filters usually threaded on both side so you can stack them. Otherwise you couldn't put an ND (for example) on without taking your UV off.

awesome.. I spent forever looking for a 37mm lens in my area.. so I could return it if I had issues (New to this sort of thing) And I checked best buy, wolf camera, and all sorts of other camera places. I finally found the filter at Microcenter, but I'll need to order the hood online

Usually the UV filter will have 37mm receiving threads on its outer edge, so you can put the UV filter on first and then attach the hood to the UV filter. That's what I do.

UV filters are important simply to put something between the irreplaceable camera lens and rocks, stones, pinecones, etc.

Ok let me get crazy here for a sec haha,

Can I put the UV Filter on..
then attach this wide angle lens to it--
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...uId=8260482&st=37mm wide angle lens&cp=1&lp=8

Will the end of that wide angle have threads to attach a hood to that?

Now that I think about it.. why don't I attach that uv filter, then the wide angle lens to that... then just find a cap for the end of the lens? The only reason i wanted a hood was to keep the lens safe from the elements and uv light, but the filter does that better anyway.

You might want a matte box when using a wide angle the WA lens will easily get lens flare. Lens hoods usually cause vignetting. One other issue with a wide angle adapter is soft focus. Sometimes the soft focus works and sometimes not. There are DIY solutions on youtube for cheep matte boxes if on a budget

You might want a matte box when using a wide angle the WA lens will easily get lens flare. Lens hoods usually cause vignetting. One other issue with a wide angle adapter is soft focus. Sometimes the soft focus works and sometimes not. There are DIY solutions on youtube for cheep matte boxes if on a budget

I'm new at this.. I looked up matte boxes and found them up to 4 thousand dollars, cheapest at around 200. I found a DIY one on youtube that looks like it'll work fine for me... but can you explain what exactly the point of it is? To put a cover around the WA lens so it doesnt get glare?

I'm new at this.. I looked up matte boxes and found them up to 4 thousand dollars, cheapest at around 200. I found a DIY one on youtube that looks like it'll work fine for me... but can you explain what exactly the point of it is? To put a cover around the WA lens so it doesnt get glare?

One of the key advantages of using a matte box is that it allows you to change lenses without having to take filters off and put them on again, and also to allow you to use graduated filters that need to be rotated or repositioned vertically. For your purposes, it sounds like a simple lens hood would suffice.

One of the key advantages of using a matte box is that it allows you to change lenses without having to take filters off and put them on again, and also to allow you to use graduated filters that need to be rotated or repositioned vertically. For your purposes, it sounds like a simple lens hood would suffice.

I'm filming the majority inside, I'm debating if I need a hood or matte box at all. I was thinking about just putting on my UV filter when I do occasionally film outside... and just using the WA lens inside..

This may have an obvious answer, but if I have a UV filter attached to the camera, with a wide angle lens on top of that, I don't really need to use the UV filter, because it isn't helping the WA lens anyway, right?

Though I might want to have the UV filter on inside anyway, just to protect the inside of the camera from dust and what not.

So my configeration would be-

Inside-
WA lens on camera (UV filter behind it to protect camera from dust and what not)

Outside- UV filter on camera

Thought I'd post back on what I ended up doing-

I took the camera, added a 37 to 52mm step up ring (Didn't know I could do this till I saw it on amazon, suprised this didn't come up in thread) , then added a 52mm UV filter to that step up ring. On top of the filter is a 52mm lens hood, with 3 extendable positions, and since it's a 52mm, it is large enough around my lens where I don't get vignetting, but I also don't get what I don't want. I also bought a 52mm lens cap, when I store it, I take off the hood and put the cap over the UV filter, leaving the filter and the step up ring on.

I was going to use a 37mm lens cap, but I decided I better store and protect the filter with the camera, since it's just as fragile as the lens.

Pretty happy with my decision, thanks for all the help in the thread, it all helped lead me to this decision.

Back