Audition question.

My main character doesn't have much of the dialog lines, but the whole story comes out on how character behaves and what he does, rather than what he says..

How do i hold the audition for that??
I'm sure I should provide with little bit deeper psychological portrait of the character,than a regular "lonely single man, who is looking for a job".

Any tips??

It would be for my main character "Derek" in this screenplay

I took a class in on-camera auditions and it took place at a casting agency so the material we worked with was used for real auditions. A LOT of what we did had no dialog. Things like: you're on the giant drop (a roller coaster of sorts), you get to the top and then it drops. Another was to act receiving a test score before and after going to a 'learning center'.

So I'd just have them act out a scene where they'll have to be expressive so you can know their chops, lack of dialog is totally fine :)

Right on guys!

Also, I have the Action / Cut film making series on VHS. The producer / director teaching the class recommends have actors do everything that is important for winning the role and in your script at their audition. That goes way beyond just reading a few lines. And, video tape the auditions.

I will be auditioning actors starting this weekend for the whole next week. They will be interviewed, do a reading, and audition for stunts. We will have at least one stunt coordinator for each day of casting. Some actors will need to know wrestling and others martial arts. That's why we will be using 2 stunt coordinators. One with a wrestling abckground. And, the other with a martial arts background.

I have one supporting role where the actress only has a couple of lines. What I'm looking for is the right emotion for the scene. And, all the candidates were already given a heads-up of what I'm looking for to win the role. We have 10 candidtes auditioning for just that role. They have to sell me with the right emotion and intensity for roles.

We've been doing it for two productions now. It is also to help us to help the actors in the production later. One of the stunt coordinator can't be with us most of next week. However, he will view the tapes of the actors we select to see where they are with stunts and stage fighting.

We don't expect to get perfect candidates with all the talent in every department from acting to stunts. We are looking for fast learners who are dedicated to attend all the rehearsals to learn what they need to know to look good in front of the camera. And, we want team players who look out for the good of the production and not full of themselves. That's why we interview them too. You need to know what is going n inside their heads.

Back