HDV, DSLR, Choise

Hiay again guys. I have used a canon XHA1 for 2 years now, and I recently bought myself a cheap little 550d with a standrad 18-55 mm lens for simple photo and filming.

Now, I'm about the film a half documentary half narrative film soon and I'm wondering which one of these I should use for it.

I've compared them alot, and from what I cant tell the t2i sometimes gets amazing shots and sometimes horrible. (all with same settings) the compression is actually more visable than the XHA1. It also seem to have nicer colors than the A1.

The A1 on the other always looks good or all right. It looks sharper (even thought its a lower resolution, how odd), less compressed than the t2i. It's easier to focus. It has 2 inputs for my xlr mics. But, seems abit flatter than the t2i, less color and dof of course.

Another thing, the noise that appears in shadows(which I always keep on lowest) looks more cinematic on A1 (but it does appear more often on the a1), the 550d has like a digital colorfull noise that looks just bleh.

So I dont know what to choose for this film. I'd really like to hear your opinion lads.
Thanks

Last edited:
Why does it have to be one or the other?

Sounds like you prefer the XHA1, so why not use it primarily, and then whip out the T2i for those occasions when you wanna get something that the XHA1 can't get.

Maybe you wanna shoot a night-scene, and don't have it in your budget to light a city street? T2i.

Or, maybe since it's mockumentary, you might want even some staged scenes to appear as if they just happened in the "real" world, so for realism, you don't want to light it. T2i.

Maybe you want to get a shot with some rack-focus. T2i.

And then for the rest of the shoot (probably most of it), use your trusty XHA1.

Needless to say, post-production is a concern, with two different types of footage, but some software doesn't have any issue mixing footage. What are you using?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Sounds like you prefer the XHA1, so why not use it primarily, and then whip out the T2i for those occasions when you wanna get something that the XHA1 can't get.

Maybe you wanna shoot a night-scene, and don't have it in your budget to light a city street? T2i.

Or, maybe since it's mockumentary, you might want even some staged scenes to appear as if they just happened in the "real" world, so for realism, you don't want to light it. T2i.

Maybe you want to get a shot with some rack-focus. T2i.

And then for the rest of the shoot (probably most of it), use your trusty XHA1.

Needless to say, post-production is a concern, with two different types of footage, but some software doesn't have any issue mixing footage. What are you using?
Thanks for some opinions. I'm using Sony Vegas for cutting/editing. Haven't tested much editing with the t2i, but a1 has always worked in there. I have pretty storng box so I dont think editing will set the house on fire

The film should look pretty cinematic, it will primarly be shoot in the daylight, on volcanic mountains and such. Lots of landscape you know, nature.

Well, I do believe Vegas handles DSLR footage. So, that being the case, I think all you have to do is make sure you're shooting at the same frame-rate. At the moment, I can't think of any other concerns. I believe you should be just fine using either one, depending on the situation.

Well, I do believe Vegas handles DSLR footage. So, that being the case, I think all you have to do is make sure you're shooting at the same frame-rate. At the moment, I can't think of any other concerns. I believe you should be just fine using either one, depending on the situation.
Yeah agreed. I'll analys these to buggers to death more I film. I'd love to throw them into the same dinner and create a super camera.

What Cracker said - use both. Aside from technical differences, they'll look pretty different - but people are used to the type of image an xh-a1 generates in a doc situation anyway. The second cam will give you flexibility. Besides, if nothing else hand it to someone who can take pictures and get stills either for the finished piece or just for marketing/bts.

Sony Vegas handles Canon's HDV flavor pretty well.

Back