• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A few shorts I've made, comments please :)

Hi there, my name is Ian. I'm a 22 year old student here in San Francisco. I recently discovered film and videography as one of my hobbies. I also love video editing, where I use mainly Adobe Premiere and After Effects. I started out with Final Cut as I'm on a mac, but found Premiere to be faster and better looking overall.

I would love to get some feedback on my work. Note: I made this just a few weeks after getting the camera, and I'm a huge newbie.

Don't be afraid to say that you didn't like it, and please do tell me what I could of done differently, I'd love to learn from my mistakes.

Both videos were shot while I was on vacation visiting my family in Norway.

This first video was shot at the local graveyard when we visited my grandparents graves on Christmas eve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVv8npAHsQA
[flash=[PHP][/PHP]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZVv8npAHsQA]width=425 height=350[/flash]

The next one was random at first when I shot it, then I edited it to look like it had some sort of theme to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4X6Bq2fspY
This is all shot with the canon t2i, standard kit lens and edited in Adobe Premiere Pro.
Ian

Last edited:
Some nice shooting in there. little heavy handed with the CC, but I know its just so much fun!

Move up to the next level, plan and shot a story, even a very short one.

Some nice shooting in there. little heavy handed with the CC, but I know its just so much fun!

Move up to the next level, plan and shot a story, even a very short one.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I might of gone crazy with the color correcting, and the Mojo effects in Premiere. You're right.. it is way too much fun. Of course I'm going for the "film look" like everyone else so why not.

I'll try to shoot something with a story, but it's so hard not having a tripod. Also acting and then operating the camera is hard. I can imagine it being easier if I had someone to shoot instead of me shooting myself and everything.
:)

FYI, im sure you could join up with a production in your local area and meet some film people. Growing that network will help you in so many ways.

FYI, im sure you could join up with a production in your local area and meet some film people. Growing that network will help you in so many ways.

Well I don't know anyone in the area, but I'm trying to meet people for sure. :) So you mean moving to the next level would be to meet other people? There's no way I can do a short film with a story without a tripod.. so that's on my list to get. I'm a college student, so I don't have that much money.

Why did I open this thread? WHY?! Now I feel guilty for having had a camera for a few months now and having pretty much done nothing with it. :'(

Anyway, to the OP. I really liked the second video. I think you could really build from it. Good luck, and welcome to IndieTalk :)

Use a table. The hood of a car. Got $9 (offer $5)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/2160096851.html

No excuses! You can do it!:)

Anyone on the boards in the SF area want to invite this guy over as a Production Assistant?

Production assistent huh? Seems like you've got a lot of faith in me.. haha
I just got into this thought honestly, I don't know if I know enough yet, but you're so right. I need to get out there and film film film!

PA's are bottom of the food chain :) in a good way.. You just run around on set fetching this, and doing that.. no skills required other than a desire to be helpful. Its all about the network man...

EDIT: Once on set, look for opportunities to help the guy who has the job you want, on a no budget affair, you might get asked to pull focus or something.

Why did I open this thread? WHY?! Now I feel guilty for having had a camera for a few months now and having pretty much done nothing with it. :'(

Anyway, to the OP. I really liked the second video. I think you could really build from it. Good luck, and welcome to IndieTalk :)

Guilt can be a powerful motivator. But in this case its inappropriate. You should feel shame, but not guilt. :lol:
So film something. Write it tonight, 2 pages, and film it tomorrow?

I went outside today in the beautiful weather and got a ton of good shots. Had to set my camera up in trees and pillars. Gah, I really need a tripod.

I am going to sit down tomorrow morning and work on the footage I have. Don't know if I can work in a story, but I'll try.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, it really makes me smile.

Since you're in the US, I highly recommend craigslist. There's a section in the Gigs portion that relates directly to crew. I met my DP there and he's something else, lemme tell ya!

Back