best literature

I always like to consult the Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook for questions about the process of filmmaking. It's geared towards British filmmakers, but contains excellent overall points and some really good interviews.

Other than that it really depends on whether you're interested in filmmaking theory or practical filmmaking. Because I'm getting into DSLR filmmaking I've read a couple of books (which both had DVDs attached) that were specific to that technical operation. But if you just want to learn more about filmmaking then I recommend the Faber and Faber editions on filmmakers (Scorcese on Scorcese, Burton on Burton...etc.) as that will give you a great inside into their minds.

I also recommend subscribing to magazines like Sight and Sound and American Cinematographer...

My first choices are:
1. On Film-Making (Alexander Mackendrick); Heavy on the story, fair amount on setting up shots; not much on directing actors. Lots of examples.
2. Film Directing Fundamentals (Nicholas Proferes); Heavy on blocking and setting up shots. Lots of examples.
3. And... Take an acting class, watch directors in action for stage or film set. --Can someone recommend a really good book on directing actors?

If you discover something great, let us know!

Back