550d/t2i possible 4K hack

1080p60 is the most appealing part to me… 3K and 4K might have limited use on some effects shots, but I'm not sure it's worth risking bricking my camera for.

Yeah there's no way I'd be loading it to my camera, I'm more excited to see how canon respond with future dslrs' if it is legit. I'm not really convinced it's legit though but can't wait to find out.

Yeah there's no way I'd be loading it to my camera, I'm more excited to see how canon respond with future dslrs' if it is legit. I'm not really convinced it's legit though but can't wait to find out.

They'll respond the same way that Panasonic did to the GH13. Re-releasing the camera with a firmware that resists the hack and the devs will have to start all over.

Of the list of changes in that firmware, 4K is the least exciting IMO. I'd love to see their aliasing/moire fixes and hear more about their approach there.

Frankly though, the 4:2:2 sub-sampling is the most exciting part for me. The already outstanding canon color is going to get a lot better.

4K though, well, I fear that a lot of folks who've never tried to work with 4K footage in post don't fully grasp exactly what's involved. I have some 4.5K RED footage that I can't display at full resolution on my system at home. It's a LOT of data.

Yeah working with time lapses shot at 4k are very demanding on your system, I haven't edited any RED footage before but I imagine editing even a short film in 4K would require a very good graphics card, processor and display.

I decided against shooting my last movie on a Red because of that very reason. It would have blown up my editing costs if I actually shot 4K. 1000 guys in town who could edit my HVX footage, 5 guys in town who could edit 4K.

1080p is close to 2K so 4k is over twice the resolution of 1080p HD.

The dimensions are doubled, so 4K is four times the resolution of 2K.

518px-Digital_cinema_formats.svg.png

If you're editing on CS5, you can handle 4k. Now to get a 4k monitor to play back that high res will cost around $7-10k, but hey :)

The 6 second and 30 second 3K limits are fornthe highest quality setting, if you turn it down then it will go for longer. But 6 seconds is more than enough for most action shots, even if you shoot the rest in 2k or 3k, being able to zoom in and move video around gives you the ability to add smooth camera movement when you normally couldn't.

I shoot interviews that are released in SD in 1080 so that I can zoom the image in for cuts and it looks like a second camera.

If this pans out, I'll probably be downgrading my 7D so I can take advantage of it.

I will never install any of these hacks onto my camera. I paid good money for that camera, and I won't risk its safety by installing unsupported upgrades.

That said I hope that this spurs on the new releases, although I don't think it will. The T2i is Canon's top end consumer DSLR, their main market is Japanese tourists (not just a stereotype I'll have you know) and not people who are wanting to shoot broadcast quality HD footage.

Absolutely amazing! This is bloody brilliant, well done modders. I'll be lanterning my 550 soon but will probably wait to upgrade to the 4k mod, 1080p 60fps though!!!!

Back