• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Chicken Powered Steadicam

So, I got this idea after seeing a video where a guy showed how chickens have what essentially is a built in head stabilization. My camera finally came in a few days ago, and here are the final results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adlgpovEv7g

Last edited:
You only need the 'adlgpovEv7g' bit in the YouTube tabs...

That was great, if impractical :P

Where did you get the rooster from?

Last edited:
Thanks, I was trying to figure that out, did a few different things but none of them worked. :-P

The rooster I own. IMO, only good thing he's for is this, and making more chickens. He crows outside my window every morning around 4 AM, so I gleefully used him in this experiment. :-P

Last edited:
I just watched a bunch of your other videos on YouTube and they're really cool.

I particularly like all the slow motion effects and the commericial where you bombard that computer server. But then I saw your video of the destruction of that football stadium and I got sidetracked watching videos of buildings being demolished :D Why did they do that? What vandals!

But cool channel all the same!

Now we just have to train him to follow a DP's commands and Scorcese's takes will be put to shame.

How much do you want for such a rooster?

Now we just have to train him to follow a DP's commands and Scorcese's takes will be put to shame.

How much do you want for such a rooster?

Ha, you can have him for free, he crows outside my window every morning at 4 AM. ;)

Thanks, I was trying to figure that out, did a few different things but none of them worked. :-P

The rooster I own. IMO, only good thing he's for is this, and making more chickens. He crows outside my window every morning around 4 AM, so I gleefully used him in this experiment.

Of course, if an animal can't be used for something then it's worthless right? I'm sure he loved having that camera strapped to his head and being carted around in all sorts of unfamiliar environments for your purposes.

I'm sure he loved having that camera strapped to his head and being carted around in all sorts of unfamiliar environments for your purposes.

Hmmm...probably not, but then again, what animal has enjoyed itself in showbiz?

Kfc is an unlikely place for a rooster to end up. I suppose he should just be thankful he has a family and wasn't dumped in a macerator shortly after birth. In the grand scheme of things I guess he's one of the lucky ones.

Anyway. Sorry to derail the thread. It is a clever idea, I just disagree with using animals for our own means. Chickens are amazing creatures :)

omg where is wheatgrinder?! Who knew he had a whole fleet of steadycams in his backyard!

That's really neat. I never knew that about chickens, the whole auto stabilization. That looked so cool when the dude was wobbling the rooster's body back and forth and the head didn't move an inch!

@ICH, I love animals and I'm a vegan, so don't take this is a jibe or anything, but I find this Robert Heinlein quote to be something I agree with, brackets are mine:
There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who "love Nature" while deploring the "artificialities" with which "Man has spoiled 'Nature.' " The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artifacts [or actions] are not part of "Nature"--but beavers and their dams are. But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purpose of men) the "Naturist" reveals his hatred for his own race--i.e., his own self-hatred.
Just wanted to put that out there. Hope we're still friends :D

My dogs love riding in the car (so much so that they like to vomit everywhere) and I bet chickens aren't that different. To be honest they don't really have the brain capacity to process what's going on so, as long as it doesn't cause them pain, they tend not to complain. If I was a chicken I'd love to be used as a steadicam. Fact.

omg where is wheatgrinder?! Who knew he had a whole fleet of steadycams in his backyard!

That's really neat. I never knew that about chickens, the whole auto stabilization. That looked so cool when the dude was wobbling the rooster's body back and forth and the head didn't move an inch!

@ICH, I love animals and I'm a vegan, so don't take this is a jibe or anything, but I find this Robert Heinlein quote to be something I agree with, brackets are mine:

Just wanted to put that out there. Hope we're still friends :D

I don't agree or disagree with the Heinlein, i just want to ask a follow up question.

Does Heinlein or do you draw a line when saying Man and his artifacts are a part of nature? To consider an extreme end of the spectrum, Man and his nuclear weapons are also part of nature since Man is part of nature and whatever he creates for his purpose is as well. And then would my hatred for nuclear weapons reveal my hatred for my own race?

And if the nuclear weapon example is considered extreme and unreasonable, what is the criteria for deciding how and where the line to that Heinlein quote is drawn.

No jibes here either. At one point i wanted to be a philosophy major and debates like these pique my curiosity. I just want to know what Heinlein would say to this and how far you agree with Heinlein.

I can't speak for Heinlein, but IMO nuclear weapons are definitely a part of nature (in fact, I think it's our destructive side which betrays our ties to nature most). But I don't think that it equates to hating yourself to 'hate' nuclear weapons.

The difference, I think, lies in the reasons for 'hating' the thing. To inherently hate something man-made because it is man-made is, one can argue, a form of self-hatred. However, hating something because it is a destructive force, and not simply because it is man-made, doesn't imply the same self-hatred. To use an analogy: hurricanes are a part of nature and also a destructive force. Would hating hurricanes mean that you are hating all of nature?

PS: sorry for the derailment. @OP please feel free to tell us to shut up and take this elsewhere :D

I thought pretty much the same thing about the hating yourself part when i read the quote but i wanted to see what you thought instead of writing what i did because you never know what new insight you can gain by listening to someone else's take on things.

So i would say, i agree with you there and not with Heinlein but perhaps i'm taking him out of context and he clarifies himself further. Though i know of Heinlein, i'm afraid to say i haven't studied him so don't know much about him or his opinions.

Back