Looking for some musicals

Hey, I'm looking for some musicals. Mainly for the songs. Preferably quite rock styled and upbeat, maybe not loads of like, operaish style songs.
Just steer clear of Rock of Ages and American Idiot the musical

West Side Story
Cabaret
All That Jazz
Chicago
Moulin Rouge

The first five that come immediately to mind. I doubt they're what you're looking for, though.

Tommy (since Quadrophenia is already mentioned)?

BANDITS has a excellent soundtrack. It's about 4 chicks in a German Prison who escape and become rock stars. Jasmin Tabatabi and Nicolette Krebitz are wonderful. It's a rockers cult classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKpGQLbEMyg

Jesus Christ Superstar

Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fame did a freakin AWESOME job as JC on the original album. The Broadway play and movie followed later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pdWQT1_8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cCuadivpE​

Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fame did a freakin AWESOME job as JC on the original album.

The film was later remade as Jesus Christ Superstar 2000, which is rather good too. Not as awesome as the original film, though.

Other rock-oriented musicals:

Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Hairspray (two versions; I now prefer the remake over the original :blush:)

Can't believe I'm spacing on others right now. I love me my miscals.

My favorite musical is "South Park". Though, they don't really have any rock tunes, so maybe I'm of no help.

"Once" is a really good movie, and their music is all folk rock.

One of my favorite works for the stage is Sam Shepherd's "The Tooth of Crime," a rock and roll play. T-Bone Burnett just did an album of the songs from the play that's pretty fantastic.

Oh and Romance and Cigarettes. Although I haven't watched that in ages and I can't really remember the style of music they use. It's all over the place lol.

I had forgotten about several above.

Anyhoozel:

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
MOULIN ROUGE
PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
BOB ROBERTS
THE IDOLMAKER
STARDUST (1974)
THAT THING YOU DO

Some are about performers, and not strictly "musicals" in the classic sense.

Evita really rocks, especially the first half.

Some great ones have also been mentioned:
Chicago
Moulin Rouge
Cabaret (don't bother with the movie, much as I love Liza the movie version sucks. Find a live production)
The Producers (the more modern one is the musical)

I know there's more I'm not thinking of...

I'm leaning towards rock-type musicals. Most of these are movies, but a musical is a musical.

godspell

hair

absolute beginners (music of david bowie)

zoot suit

streets of fire

purple rain

eddie and the cruisers

mamma mia (music of abba)

chess (song: one night in bangkok)

Remember you can always go to wikipedia and enter list of musicals. There are alot. why are you looking for them?

--- spinner :cool:

EDIT: go to wikipedia and enter: list of rock musicals

Last edited:
Back