Sony HDR-CX520V or 5D or What?

Sony HDR-CX520V: A guy shot Roger Waters The Wall a few times from different angles and made a fantastic complete live video from the footage (he's giving it away for free, if anyone is interested. It's so worth it).

It's under a grand and I was wondering, would this be good enough to shoot a movie with? Has anyone tried out this camcorder? The zoom function is incredible. Sitting in the upper section he's able to get fantastic CUs.

5D: There's a few videos in the Screening Room shot with the 5D. But when I look up 5D I only get a regular looking camera. Is this the same one? It's also over 2 grand from what I've seen.

What is inexpensive, that's good to make a 24fps movie with? Something I can use to get good depth of field, and all the other little things to make it look great.

Thanks.

PS: Inexpensive is top priority.

From what I have heard Cannon T2i could be your solution. It is probably the cheapest solution. But 5D is nicer looking if you ask me. There are other great cameras out there too. But I think the T2i would be your best bet for a cheaper camera that you can change lenses with. The in between is the Cannon 7d.

The 5d does look like a picture camera not a video camera. Same with the 7d and T2i. You can use them to film movies though.

Everyday there seems to be new cameras coming out but these are the ones I have heard about a lot.

Last edited:
I've heard about Canon T2i/550D a lot.. like rockerrockstar mentioned, i have heard about 7d as well.. To me, these are more professional picture cameras than professional video cameras.. I mean, dSLRs are the best option in cheap cameras to work in short film/advert/music videos and so on..

I think, the cameras in between £500 and $2000 don't have much difference in picture quality..

I have heard professionals saying - do not shoot on 24fps..rather shoot on 25fps..

I also think canon T2i/550D is the best possible option for you..

Back