Sony PD150

I bought my first camera, a Sony PD150, about a month ago for a very good price. Now I'm waiting on getting a good enough editing computer which should be pretty soon.

I haven't heard a lot about this camera, any tips/hints form actual users? Do's and dont's ?

I used this cam for 2 years in my first two years of university. It's a good camera, getting a bit dated now IMO. You can get some great looking footage with it though, pretty good low light. Definatly a great camera to learn on, make sure you set it up to manual for the best results :) .

DO go shoot something. DO NOT sit around doing nothing.:) I can't do any better than that.

I can't wait to start shooting, but I don't have the computer to do something with the footage so for now I'm only testing out the features etc.

Also, when I do start shooting, I was looking at buying this : http://www.raiddiskstore.com/cobracrane/steadytrackerxtreme.html

Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, can't wait to really test the camera.

I have shot a few short docs with the PD150 and it's a nice rig. As noted above, it is still STANDARD DEF, which does make it dated, but under the right conditions and in capable hands, it will serve you well.

Documentarian Albert Maysles (Gimme Shelter, Salesman, Grey Gardens) once spoke highly of this camera:

Speaking of Albert Maysles... I've shot and edited a few projects with one of his alums Sean Tracey out of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. His doc The Jesus Guy was shot entirely with the PD150.

http://www.jesusguy.com/

I'm not religious at all, but it was an interesting project.

Huge94, maybe you should get a copy to check out?

* I will add that footage from the PD150 tended toward the RED... so be sure to WHITE BALANCE and expect to color correct when editing. Desaturating just 10-15% always seemed to make for a better looking picture, especially with skin tones.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff everybody, thanks for the feedback.

I've been looking at the DIYs for the stabilizer and decided to take it in my own hands as some kind of Christmas holidays project. Bought everything today, cost me around $35 CAD. We'll see how it goes.

Back