Wow, Directing is hard... but fun!

I just directed my first "anything" with humans that were not my wife or kids!

Here is a preview: (cheesy sound FX not withstanding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxvBODVD_Y

Wow, that was much more intimidating than I though it was going to be... People actually EXPECTED me to have ideas and opinions. Thank goodness they came with their own! I was overloaded in technical details to be very helpful in specifics...

The biggest personal challenges and shortcomings this showed me today:

• Talking about objectification with female talent is challenging.
    In my head its easy to say things like, "can you do that in a more alluring way?" but face to face with a living breathing person, I felt like it came out creepy and awkward.

• Giving helpful acting advice is a must.
    I have NO IDEA how to talk about this effectively with actors..
    Buying myself acting classes for Christmas!

• Breath, and use check lists!
    I did good on my shot checklist, this kept me on track and got all the shots I wanted, done early!
    I did NOT run my own Camera Operator checklist and forgot some VITAL steps that resulted in degrading my images.

• Tracking where "we" are in the script\story is vital:
    It surprised me how many time I did NOT know what the next line was or where we were in the script. I knew EXACTLY where we were in shooting, but it was way out of temporal order and even though I SWORE I had the entire script memorized, it fled from before my mind on the day.

Things that surprised me in a good way:

• Separate Sound and Video systems ROCK! I'm never going back to running mics into the camera!

• Even inexperience crew are incredibly helpful. I pressed into service someone who was just riding along with a fried, she ran slate for me and saved the shot multiple occasions.

• I'm a pretty funny guy (yeah, but looks don't count), had em laughing on several occasions, mostly at my own expense.

"Where is the device?"

"Pull the tape off my mouth and I'll tell you..."

*SMACK!*

Ha ha!

Breath, and use check lists!

Yep. I'm one of those that relies on them - a script, shot list and scene list (props, characters, equipment per scene). There are always days where weather, scheduling conflicts with actors/personnel, etc. changes on a dime. You end up going to Plan B, C, D or E. For example: Jerry and Alex are available, but Jennifer has an emergency and can't make it to the shoot. Pull out the scene list and find all alternate scenes that feature Jerry and Alex.

BTW, I like everything you have posted, so far! I would love to see more of your stuff.

Great post, man. Thanks for sharing your experiences like that.

Having a bit of a sense of humor definitely seems to help the atmosphere on a set. It's one of the few things I know I'd have down to the letter.

Great job and extremely helpful post, Wheat!

My favorite word when organizing, overseeing any project: delegate!

(the clip looks cool, btw.)

Oh, and what's the "device?" :D

-Charles

Good stuff there Wheat! I haven't tried making anything with "other people" yet-so you way ahead of me on this (and other stuff!)

I have enough trouble just telling myself what to do! :lol:

That's the best part for me Wheat. That crew looks to you for leadership, for "direction", a good one listens, cares about your "vision", and sincerely tries to execute it. It's pretty amazing. For a brief time you are almost a god. Act like one.

That chick was HAWT!. She can tie me up any day!
smiley_creepy.gif

Some acting schools offer "Acting for Directors" classes, which essentially distills a lot of the material for those who are not interested in becoming actors themselves, but who would like to improve their ability at communicating with (and understanding) actors.

Not sure how close to a larger city you are, though.

YA I understand.. I have been shooting every day since thursday. I had the pleasure of shooting a scene in a hair salon w/ 16 ladies 2 kids and 1 male actor for talent w/ 1 sound guy. It will not win any awards, but we got some cool stuff. I'm tired beyond belief. You really must take control.

You mus also be very specific w/ any ladies about anything sexual. Exactly where what and how must be understood up front or you can have problems

I know.. what a boon..

58063_1626786041021_1577666307_31490871_2173143_s.jpg

I realize now that at this level, getting cast and crew is all about networking. I met the male Lead on the 48hour project I did, I asked him to join me, he brought the female (Inna Vk) from his acting class. Same for one of the crew.. The thug is my coworker, goes to show you never know who will be interested, the hard part is just opening your mouth!

The "acting class" seems a specific commonality, lots of networking going on there, and plus, I have to get in front of the camera some times.. so I'm for it. I think I will stop in next weekend and audit one...

what amazed me even more, EVERYONE but me drove at least one hour to the middle of nowhere, and all refused my offer of $20 for gas! I spent a couple bucks for sodas and snacks.. I had figured a $100 for gas at least.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing all this. If you can keep leadership on set, plus laugh at yourself when you screw up on set, you probably have it nailed.

I googled: "How to deal with actors" and ten thousand results came up.
http://www.google.co.id/#sclient=ps...=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=c690cb5e1d3e8355

I acted theatre myself in college and had a great time. Actors can be very fragile and narcissistic. My directors were great and I never had a bad experience. As a director, you need to provide a clear vision but without stifling the actors natural creativity and ideas. As you are shooting DV, you have a fair amount of time to explore different takes and versions. You need to be encouraging without compromising.

- The director of "The TV set" would get his actors to nail the scene just how he wanted, then tell them. "Now do one take for yourself." Apparently this was a unique offer. This is how I would do things. Start out with a strong vision then loosen up and explore once you have your take on tape.

- Tarantino insisted on 2 weeks of rehearsals for R.Dogs.

I learnt a lot by watching the actor voiceovers of Full Metal Jacket and a Clockwork Orange.

- Stanley Kubrick was tough but would often give minimal direction. Malcolm Macdowell would ask him "How should I play this scene Stan?" Kubrick responded: "Gee well I don't know Malc, I guess that's why I hired you." During Full Metal Jacket he would often tell D'Onofrio and the others. "No no, you're not getting it." "Make it better" "Do something brilliant" - Really minimal direction, but intense.

- During the shooting of Eyes Wide Shut he had cooled a little. Again very simple direction: Actor did a take, they would watch it back on the monitor, they would see what needed improving, and they would reshoot, then watch again. Dozens and dozens of times. This was an improvement from his FMJ days, where D'Onofrio complained that he sometimes didn't know what Kubrick wanted.

Once an actor can see what they're doing on tape they might be able to grok what they need to do next.

I'm going to use all these tricks when I shoot.

Dang, some brilliant suggestions.. The idea of "lets watch it together..." never even occurred to me, I wish I had, I would have picked up on my technical flubs too.. I had a little monitor right there, on its own tripod.. 10 seconds to spin it around and gather the actors.. (kicks self in backside!)

It took even Kubrick til the end of his career to start using that trick consistently, from what I've read.

You could also go into an actors forum and start a thread:

What are you looking for in a director?
With all the directors you've worked with, what do you like and what annoys you?

Cross post it here if you're allowed.

(cheesy sound FX not withstanding)

Yup, all of Wisconsin cheesy!

Talking about objectification with female talent is challenging.
In my head its easy to say things like, "can you do that in a more alluring way?" but face to face with a living breathing person, I felt like it came out creepy and awkward.

Preproduction meetings and rehearsals build a framework for further discussions, and also allows you to get to know the quirks of your cast and crew, and vice versa. You'll be more comfortable on-set as you've discussed these things already. BTW, she's an actress; that kind of "creepy" is par for the course, and she's exploring those feelings/attitudes too. She also wants the right performance, and it's your job to help her out. And some humor goes a long way...

Tracking where "we" are in the script\story is vital:
It surprised me how many time I did NOT know what the next line was or where we were in the script. I knew EXACTLY where we were in shooting, but it was way out of temporal order and even though I SWORE I had the entire script memorized, it fled from before my mind on the day.

That's why having a dedicated script supervisor is AWESOME!

Separate Sound and Video systems ROCK! I'm never going back to running mics into the camera!

Pretty cool, huh?

No, I dont think I gave much real "data" on the shoot.. its for a commercial on speculation. Its something I pick up off of poptent.net I get paid $200 for the submission with a chance for the customer (the Wall Street Journal) to buy it for more cash. The last one earned me a 2nd hand Follow Focus so bonus!

Wow, that was much more intimidating than I though it was going to be... People actually EXPECTED me to have ideas and opinions.
Welcome to directing :) Sometimes it's not even necessary to have the correct answer just so long as there's a sense that you've got the vision in your head and can help "direct" the cast/crew toward that vision.

Talking about objectification with female talent is challenging.
Although sensitivity in those situations is important, the actors realize that you're attempting to make something visual on screen, thereby objectifying them (to an extent) which generally makes those conversations OK... one thing that I was surprised by when directing my first kiss was how open the actors were to not only the experience, but to the process of getting what I wanted on screen and the awkward conversations that went along with it.

Awesome! Do a play or be in a production as well, so the experience is real, not just theoretical.

Breath... I did NOT run my own Camera Operator checklist and forgot some VITAL steps that resulted in degrading my images.
The set is chaotic, these two things are really important (especially when you're just getting into it). You'd be surprised how much 30 seconds of nothing but breathing will help calm you down. As for the checklists, I swear by them for folks entering the world of larger productions, or even just adding actors... to make sure that you're getting everything right the first time... because now it's an event to reshoot something you've screwed up.

I knew EXACTLY where we were in shooting, but it was way out of temporal order and even though I SWORE I had the entire script memorized, it fled from before my mind on the day.
I keep my copy of the script with me at all times... and have immense amounts of notes on the margins and the back of the previous pages along with sketch/storyboards and overhead views of the blocking with cameras in them. Along with per line notes about how I see the motivation of each character so I can answer those questions... visually "You're going after her like a small dog with a bone!" So you're giving the actor something concrete they can visualize while they are going after their performance... In the LOTR BTS, Elijah wood said he played Frodo like a drug addict with the ring as the drug. That gave me a glimpse into what he specifically as an actor needed to truly "get" a character, not just "Angrier", "More dejected", "more alluring" (see what I did there ;) ), but "Holdin the anger back like waiting for a chair to tip", "As if trying to find a reason not to just walk away", "Like a cat sizing up a toy mouse"

Welcome to it, it's addictive!

All right, now that I've got my hands on a proper computer, with a proper keyboard (instead of my stupid phone), I can type a full response. I'm not quite sure that you're soliciting advice in this thread, but I take great interest in what you're doing, so I can't help it.

Wow, that was much more intimidating than I though it was going to be... People actually EXPECTED me to have ideas and opinions. Thank goodness they came with their own! I was overloaded in technical details to be very helpful in specifics...

Wait, what are you talking about, the actors and their performances? If so, it is the actor's job to bring the performance. They should have the character fully fleshed out, based on what's in the script. The director shouldn't have to spell out every minute detail. Yeah, the director should be opinionated, and have a clear vision, but the collaborative process is vital.

Anyway, mainly, I wanted to point out one thing. You say that you were too overloaded in technical details to be very helpful. You remember how you used to joke that I'm anti-lighting, or anti-cinematography? Of course I'm neither, but perhaps you now have an idea as to how I came to the decision to pretty much forego any real cinematography in my latest project. It's not that I don't want it. It's that I've done enough of these ultra-low-budget shorts to come to the realization that I can't do it all. If I focus my energy on directing the action, I don't have time for cinematography. If I focus my energy on cinematography, I don't have time to properly direct the action. If I try to do both, I will fail at both. Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think I can successfully be director and director of photography at the same time. I can do one, but not both. In my opinion, it sounds like you chose to be director of photography on this shoot, and perhaps the actors basically directed themselves.

I don't say this as a criticism. I intend this more of a Welcome to My World. Anyway, there's a point to this. I think it'd be good to make a clear choice as to which side you are personally interested in working on (director, or DoP) and focus your energy on that, and perhaps find a partner who can take the reigns on the other end.

As I mentioned, on my latest project, I basically decided to shoot it without a DoP. Techicnally, I was the DoP, but I gave that job very little of my attention. If I could've hired a proper DoP, I definitely would have. Of all my prior shorts, the most successful one I produced was a collaborative partnership. It was for a 48HFP. A friend of a friend took directorial duties, and I took DoP duties, except I actually did a lot of stuff that a director would normally control. The director had full control over what happened. I had full control over how to shoot it. Of course, we exchanged ideas, but ultimately, we trusted each other to make the right decisions on each others' end.

Setting up a shot takes time. Working with actors takes time. You can't do both, simultaneously. I wonder, is there anyone you can put trust in to take co-directorial duties, to work with the actors, while you focus on the technical stuff?

[*]Giving helpful acting advice is a must.

Hmm, I'm not sure that I completely agree with this. I don't think a director should have to be an acting coach. To be honest, I think this is more a reflection of who you're working with. A director needs to be able to clearly communicate what they want, but it's the actor's job to make this a reality.

When I was working with all-volunteers, my casts were always friends, mostly non-actors. I found myself feeding them lines -- telling them exactly how to say it. That's bad. After finally being able to work with a cast that knows their craft, I find that I really only have to communicate emotions. One specific example I can think of, off the top of my head -- on one occasion, I wasn't really liking what one of my actors was giving me, so I told him that I thought his character might be humbled and apologetic, but not so pathetic. He got it, and nailed it. I didn't need to use any fancy acting terminology -- just basic emotions.

I actually do think it's a great idea to take an acting class, and in fact, I've been meaning to do this, myself. Specifically, I want to take an acting for directors class.

Regardless, I think your experiences, in this respect, will improve greatly, as you start to work with a more seasoned cast. I know a lot of people on this forum recommend working with an older cast. I gotta say, though, that I've had wonderful experiences working with college theater students and graduates. It's one thing to work with someone who is taking an acting class. But imagine working with people who have dedicated four years of their lives to learning this craft. Plus, generally speaking, they have fun doing what they do.

[*]Breath, and use check lists!
I did good on my shot checklist, this kept me on track and got all the shots I wanted, done early!
I did NOT run my own Camera Operator checklist and forgot some VITAL steps that resulted in degrading my images.

Yep, I've done that before (made bone-headed mistakes by just forgetting to do something). I've contemplated having a checklist, but I think that might be overkill. Perhaps you just create a routine to go through before each shot. You know, like it's typical to say "Quiet on the set. Roll Camera. Action." Maybe you have lines that you speak aloud, to yourself, first. "Focus, check. White-balance, check. Shutter-speed, check. ISO, check. Frame-rate, check. Whatever-you-think-should-be-routine, check." If you say the same thing enough times, that would function as a checklist, and you wouldn't need an actual physical checklist on paper.

[*]Tracking where "we" are in the script\story is vital:

Huh. Interesting. I've never had that problem. Yeah, it's pretty much necessary to always have a script on hand. And many directors prefer to use a shooting script as a modified shot-list. However, to be honest, I think the main problem is perhaps not enough time was spent in pre-production and/or screenwriting. By the time I get on set, I've gone over the script so many times that it'd be impossible for me to not know it like the back of my hand.

[*]Separate Sound and Video systems ROCK! I'm never going back to running mics into the camera!

I'm with you all the way. I shot for years with a mic plugged into my camera. It's liberating to be able to move the camera wherever I want, without a pesky cable tie-ing it down. Won't have it any other way.

[*]Even inexperience crew are incredibly helpful. I pressed into service someone who was just riding along with a fried, she ran slate for me and saved the shot multiple occasions.

Ain't that the truth. Even a total noob can occasionally serve as an accidental script-supervisor, in addition to just completing random helpful tasks.

[*]I'm a pretty funny guy (yeah, but looks don't count), had em laughing on several occasions, mostly at my own expense.

Sweet. I don't know how other directors feel about this, but for me, it's of the utmost importance that we all have fun on set. Otherwise, why the heck are we doing it? A sense of humor goes a long way, and I'm not surprised that you created a fun environment.

Keep up the good work, man!

Back