Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HD-DVD/Blu Ray Combo with occassional skips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sell the combo player for $$$

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • stare blankly at the TV trying to decide

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
I have a Blu Ray Player, and HD-DVD player and a combo HD-DVD/Blu Ray player.

I got the new Blu Ray only player because it can play BDR media I burn at work and also has Netflix streaming. That meant getting an HDMI switcher and then using 2 players. I thought I'd take the combo player to work (even though it can't play burned Blu Rays) and be able to play all formats.

It turns out the HD-DVD only player is a max 720P output, but plays all the discs flawlessly. The HD-DVD/Blu Ray combo plays 1080P but occassionally skips a bit on HD-DVDs....

Which one should I use at home?

The HD-DVD/Blu Ray combo with 1080P but random discs will play with skips at the half way point or the 720P wimpier HD-DVD only player?

I voted for "stare blankly at the TV trying to decide" because by the time I finish with work I'm too burned out to try to figure out what to do with my home stuff.

Skipping would annoy the hell out of me. I'd take lesser resolution over skipping, any day. But I thought they stopped making HD-DVDs? Sounds like you need a PS3.

I, too, would take lesser resolution over skipping, but it doesn't seem worth spending the extra money on disks if you only get 720p out of it. Have you got a collection of HD-DVDs already? Makes me glad I didn't buy any before the end of the format war…

I have a Blu Ray player that works fine for Blu Rays and Netflix Streaming and BD-R media.

I was using a combo player because I can get HD-DVD's for less than the cost of renting a regular DVD, so I have an epic collection of HD-DVD's for literally tens of dollars to see movies in 1080P.... unless some random discs skip.

Alcove, I too am so tired from editing all day, I just want to come home and turn the brain off whilst feeding it HD content of whatever. I just wanted to get opinions as I don't want to think about this.

HD DVD's have died a sad death. Blu Ray is just about surviving but are way too expensive still. I'm not entirely sure what the technicalities of this question are but I have a PS3 and it plays Blu Ray flawlessly and probably does other cool stuff that I have no idea how to work...

The HD disc war cost everyone. The consumer lost the most. If they had reached that epic agreement with all the parties, the HD disc format might have made a dent before the economy crashed.

Having Sony win this war screwed most people. In terms of independents, we're royally screwed. In order to get 1,000 discs replicated (not burned), you have to pay an ANNUAL fee, plus all kinds of setup charges so that your cost is already around $6-$8 per disc before you've even gotten into the costs of actually MAKING the discs. Thus making Blu Ray the domain of bigger corporations to be profitable and not so much for any independent businesses.... THANKS SONY!

I had a PS3 and sold it. I don't play video games, so it was worth more used as players dropped in price. I got my combo HD-DVD/BLU RAY player and it was fine for years until I wanted to play BD-R and get Netflix streaming.

Back