Anamorphic lens for HFS100

I'm interested in doing some widescreen stuff, but don't know exactly what I need to do this with my camera (canon hfs100). I think I've heard some people use the term "anamorphic adapter" in addition to anamorphic lenses and all the test videos I can find on youtube are 7d and 5d cameras with them. So I'm also thinking that it might be one of those things you can't have without a DOF adapter (or a dslr). Can I buy an anamorphic lens and just expect it to work like a wide-angle adapter where I just screw it on? If so will I still have the ability to zoom or will I have to buy different focal lengths.? Does anyone have any suggestions of lenses I should look into?

i think your camcorder will just tighten up the apeture and focus everything back into clarity. Or I guess you can go manual focus and set it to Apeture priority.
Also, look into blurring out the background with pluggins for CS5. Apparently CS5 makes a lot of stuff pretty easy. You might be able to avoid the DOF issue with effects.
Anyways, those are my suggestion... I'm new to all this too haha.
Good Luck!

Not entirely sure which post Redshinobi is answering…

Yes, it is possible to buy an anamorphic adapter (and it needs to be an anamorphic adapter, not lens) that will screw into the filter thread on your camera. You should still be able to zoom, but you may lose quite a bit of light from it, but that's partly dependent on the quality of the adapter. I can't recommend any, but there are plenty of reviews out there that might help you make up your mind.

OK, I should know this, I'm not totally sure. Please correct me.

Am I correct in saying anamorphic lenses only cuts out parts of the image, correct ? You can do the same thing in editing right ??

not quite rite.. you can black bar your shots in post to have a super widescreen aspect ration..

what an anamorphic lens does is squish more image into the normal frame. It distorts the image and has to be "stretched" back out in either post or during projection. A lot of the adapter lenses folks are using stem from the day when all you had for home movies, was well, movie cameras, and the anamorphic lenses would come as a pair.. one for the camera and one for the projector!

check this..
http://owyheesound.com/snyder_tutorial.swf

What wheat said, basically. Anamorphic lenses can also give things quite a distinctive look. Anything out of focus tends to blur vertically more than horizontally, the wider view often means using longer lenses (and thus shallower depth of field), when racking focus objects appear to stretch vertically as they move further away from the focus plane, and of course there is the distinctive horizontal blue lens flare that you see in Die Hard and lots of big action movies (I think most of the Bond films were shot in anamorphic). Some cinematographers love anamorphic lenses, others (like Roger Deakins) aren't quite so keen - I love the look it gives some films, but it's certainly not for everything. I'd love to try one out on my 550D, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth at the mo.

Back