Samsung SMX-F40

I recently purchased a Samsung SMX-F40 camcorder from Best Buy for a good price. I love the camera, and it takes surprisingly good 720 HD video, but I'd like to really trick it out and make it the best rig I can for myself. I'm currently looking at a handle/grip mount that I can hang the boom mic on top of, (Amazon link below)... but I'm not sure about a lens. I think I can add a lens, but I'm not positive. I see a bunch of different lenses at Best Buy all the time... If I was to add a lens what kind of lens would I add, and can I add it to this camera? Also any other camera addon suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Grip on Amazon---
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-X-GRIP...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291184926&sr=1-4

Also for some reason beyond me, most websites post the camera as 52x zoom, even though it clearly states on the front of the camera its 65x... oh well just thought I'd at that in for anyone that looks it up.

Last edited:
The tech specs says it has a 37mm filter diameter...are there threads on the front of the lens? If so, you can pick up a wide angle or telephoto adapter. Not technically a lens, but it will give you a wider or closer image. In this department you get what you pay for...cheap glass will often give your image multi-colored fuzzy edges.

Or you can get a 35mm depth-of-field adapter, which attaches to those threads in front of the lens. On the other end you attach 35mm still camera proper lenses. This is an upgrade that will be a lot more expensive than the camera.

Is there a microphone input on that camera?

The tech specs says it has a 37mm filter diameter...are there threads on the front of the lens? If so, you can pick up a wide angle or telephoto adapter. Not technically a lens, but it will give you a wider or closer image. In this department you get what you pay for...cheap glass will often give your image multi-colored fuzzy edges.

Or you can get a 35mm depth-of-field adapter, which attaches to those threads in front of the lens. On the other end you attach 35mm still camera proper lenses. This is an upgrade that will be a lot more expensive than the camera.

Is there a microphone input on that camera?

I'll be honest... reading your post was extremely confusing to me haha. I don't see any threads, but then again I have no idea what to look for. With this camera should I not even bother with a lens?

Oh and no mic input, I record onto a seperate device and sinc it up

Last edited:
There is no audio input on the camera. You will need a separate recording system if you want better audio than you can capture with the on-camera mic.

There is no such thing as a boom mic, various types of microphones are attached to the end of a boom pole. Putting a shotgun mic on top of the camera will not yield very good sound unless the talent is speaking directly into the camera. That is why a boom-op is retained to continuously change the angle of the mic so optimum sound pick-up is achieved. A cardioid or hypercardioid is a slightly better choice for mounting on the camera, but not by much.

There is no audio input on the camera. You will need a separate recording system if you want better audio than you can capture with the on-camera mic.

There is no such thing as a boom mic, various types of microphones are attached to the end of a boom pole. Putting a shotgun mic on top of the camera will not yield very good sound unless the talent is speaking directly into the camera. That is why a boom-op is retained to continuously change the angle of the mic so optimum sound pick-up is achieved. A cardioid or hypercardioid is a slightly better choice for mounting on the camera, but not by much.

I use a great microphone, and audio really isn't my problem. As I stated above, the lens is currently my problem. I have my audio all worked out.

You can use a Schoeps CMIT5U, but if it's mounted on the camera you are still going to get crappy sound, which was my point. It's not just what you use but the technique with which it is used.

If your camera does not look like the one below (ignoring case color), then skip this post. :D

672289.jpg

Judging by the picture I'd wager that you have three options for adding more glass in front of your lens, all hypothetical:

1: *IF* Samsung or some other company makes diopters that mount specifically on that irregular shaped front part - where the front element of the lens and subsequently the outer ring which would have threads should be.

2: Or if there is some similar attachment which gives you an actual threaded ring to work with (probably 37mm). This way you could attach relatively common wide angle or tele diopters, or go for a full blown ground glass adapter and put 35mm lenses in front of that.

3: Find some way to DIY something that allows you any or all of the above.

If your camera does not look like the one below (ignoring case color), then skip this post. :D

672289.jpg

Judging by the picture I'd wager that you have three options for adding more glass in front of your lens, all hypothetical:

1: *IF* Samsung or some other company makes diopters that mount specifically on that irregular shaped front part - where the front element of the lens and subsequently the outer ring which would have threads should be.

2: Or if there is some similar attachment which gives you an actual threaded ring to work with (probably 37mm). This way you could attach relatively common wide angle or tele diopters, or go for a full blown ground glass adapter and put 35mm lenses in front of that.

3: Find some way to DIY something that allows you any or all of the above.

That is indeed my camera. What is a diopter? I might just call up or email Samsung and ask them if it's at all possible to make any lens modifications on this camcorder. Also, what is a threaded ring? Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at camera equipment. Thanks!

When I did a google search for lenses for my camera, I actually got my own thread here on indietalk.... so if there is a manufacture that makes something for this camera, they aren't too well known...

Prepare for a dumbass question--
Can't I just buy one of those lens from Best Buy and put it over the current one? I think that would mirror it and make it look weird though.

That is indeed my camera. What is a diopter? I might just call up or email Samsung and ask them if it's at all possible to make any lens modifications on this camcorder. Also, what is a threaded ring? Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at camera equipment. Thanks!

It is simply a metal ring at the very front of the lens which allows you to attach accessories such as filters, diopters, or in the case of modern video cameras - 35mm lens adapters.

874_Panagor28_1.jpg

Note the threads. Without them, you'd have to come up with some other way to make certain that whatever you put in front of the lens stays securely in place. Any variation in distance will alter focus, probably making a sharp image not possible.

Diopter is sort of a thrown around term for any wide angle, macro, or telephoto attachment that screws into the threads in front of a lens. x0.7 for example reduces the effective focal length by that multiple. So a 50mm lens with a x0.7 diopter functions as a sort of gimped 35mm lens. (roughly, someone should check my math since I'm just pulling that off the top of my head) It's not technically accurate to use that term for all of them, but it is easy. Search around ebay and you will see many of these items for various ring diameters.

When I did a google search for lenses for my camera, I actually got my own thread here on indietalk.... so if there is a manufacture that makes something for this camera, they aren't too well known...

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that you probably won't find any lens accessories for that camera. It's not designed for a market that would purchase such things.

Prepare for a dumbass question--
Can't I just buy one of those lens from Best Buy and put it over the current one? I think that would mirror it and make it look weird though.

Mirror it? I'm not certain what you mean by that. What lens are you talking about at Best Buy? An actual lens, or a lens attachment (tele extender, diopter, etc).

If you are talking about an actual lens. No. Because a lens bends light rays to get them to converge to points on a plane at a precise distance from the rear element of the lens, you can't just put one lens in front of another and get a sharp image.

The only way to make that work is with a system like this:

hv20.jpg

There are an abundance of companies that make 35mm ground glass adapters. The problem you will have is that you don't have any threads to work with at the front of your camera. You might be able to make it work with iris rods, locking everything down, then using some sort of DIY tube connector to ensure that the connection between the front of your camera and the ground glass box are light tight, set to a columnation (possibly the wrong word) distance that gives you sharp focus on the ground glass, and that all of that will stay locked down. You also need to be able to manually focus the camera itself and then lock focus at that point (along with zoom and exposure). Then you use the front lens to adjust aperture for exposure and to focus.

There are also DIY kits for that sort of setup, but it helps if you are crafty, have access to good tools, and know a little about optics and lenses - fortunately the latter is a minor requirement for building one of your own.

With a different camera that has a standard diameter ring with threads it would be a great deal easier, and you could probably finder diopter/extenders to work with.

What sort of image are you seeking to get out of all this? You mentioned a "problem" with your lens, a technical problem or a creative limitation?

Last edited:
It is simply a metal ring at the very front of the lens which allows you to attach accessories such as filters, diopters, or in the case of modern video cameras - 35mm lens adapters.

874_Panagor28_1.jpg

Note the threads. Without them, you'd have to come up with some other way to make certain that whatever you put in front of the lens stays securely in place. Any variation in distance will alter focus, probably making a sharp image not possible.

Diopter is sort of a thrown around term for any wide angle, macro, or telephoto attachment that screws into the threads in front of a lens. x0.7 for example reduces the effective focal length by that multiple. So a 50mm lens with a x0.7 diopter functions as a sort of gimped 35mm lens. (roughly, someone should check my math since I'm just pulling that off the top of my head) It's not technically accurate to use that term for all of them, but it is easy. Search around ebay and you will see many of these items for various ring diameters.

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that you probably won't find any lens accessories for that camera. It's not designed for a market that would purchase such things.

Mirror it? I'm not certain what you mean by that. What lens are you talking about at Best Buy? An actual lens, or a lens attachment (tele extender, diopter, etc).

If you are talking about an actual lens. No. Because a lens bends light rays to get them to converge to points on a plane at a precise distance from the rear element of the lens, you can't just put one lens in front of another and get a sharp image.

hv20.jpg

There are an abundance of companies that make 35mm ground glass adapters. The problem you will have is that you don't have any threads to work with at the front of your camera. You might be able to make it work with iris rods, locking everything down, then using some sort of DIY tube connector to ensure that the connection between the front of your camera and the ground glass box are light tight, set to a columnation (possibly the wrong word) distance that gives you sharp focus on the ground glass, and that all of that will stay locked down. You also need to be able to manually focus the camera itself and then lock focus at that point (along with zoom and exposure). Then you use the front lens to adjust aperture for exposure and to focus.

There are also DIY kits for that sort of setup, but it helps if you are crafty, have access to good tools, and know a little about optics and lenses - fortunately the latter is a minor requirement for building one of your own.

With a different camera that has a standard diameter ring with threads it would be a great deal easier, and you could probably finder diopter/extenders to work with.

What sort of image are you seeking to get out of all this? You mentioned a "problem" with your lens, a technical problem or a creative limitation?

I'd like to get a larger area of view. I'd like to have more room on the left and right.... so it's a creative limitation

Okay.

What you want is some way to go wider with your lens. Diopter. 0.7x would probably be as far as you want to push it - assuming that you find some way to attach it at the proper point for a sharp image to be possible.

You know you can just get farther from your subject and achieve similar results (more room left and right). Of course sometimes space is limited ...

874_Panagor28_1.jpg

hv20.jpg

Okay.

What you want is some way to go wider with your lens. Diopter. 0.7x would probably be as far as you want to push it - assuming that you find some way to attach it at the proper point for a sharp image to be possible.

You know you can just get farther from your subject and achieve similar results (more room left and right). Of course sometimes space is limited ...

My space is usually confined to an indoor room, where zoomed out and to the back doesn't help much, but I might try a few different angles in the room next time I film

Here comes Debbie Downer!

That's a consumer camera. It might get you some beautiful images, but it's not set up to do stuff like adding a wide-angle adapter (which is what you want). And the method David is recommending would cost WAY more than the camera itself, even if you go the DIY route.

I'm sorry, but you really don't have any options with this camera, my friend. Find a bigger space to shoot in, or work with the space that you've got.

My space is usually confined to an indoor room, where zoomed out and to the back doesn't help much, but I might try a few different angles in the room next time I film
Please don't quote the whole post plus massive pictures every time you reply!

Here comes Debbie Downer!

That's a consumer camera. It might get you some beautiful images, but it's not set up to do stuff like adding a wide-angle adapter (which is what you want). And the method David is recommending would cost WAY more than the camera itself, even if you go the DIY route.

I'm sorry, but you really don't have any options with this camera, my friend. Find a bigger space to shoot in, or work with the space that you've got.
Hi, Debbie! Spot on - there's a point where it doesn't make sense to invest more into a piece of equipment, and this is it. It may be possible to attach a wide-angle diopter with a lot of DIY work, or even a 35mm adaptor, but it's a bit like putting a V8 engine into a push cart - not practical, and not the way to get best value for money.

Please don't quote the whole post plus massive pictures every time you reply!

Hi, Debbie! Spot on - there's a point where it doesn't make sense to invest more into a piece of equipment, and this is it. It may be possible to attach a wide-angle diopter with a lot of DIY work, or even a 35mm adaptor, but it's a bit like putting a V8 engine into a push cart - not practical, and not the way to get best value for money.

Yeah I'll make do with what I have for now.. I'm considering investing in some of the new Canon DSLR's in the future though.. we'll see. Anyway, stupid question- how do I quote just sections of a post so I don't do what I did above? haha thanks

You caught that I was attempting to explain the immense difficulty generating the desired results with said camera without outright saying "Buy a new camera, foo." Right?

Edit: While simultaneously trying to explain WHY it wouldn't work.

Anyway, stupid question- how do I quote just sections of a post so I don't do what I did above? haha thanks

Um, just delete everything from the quote except the bits to which you are responding.

Back