SPIDERMAN the Musical

Spiderman was suppose to open Feb 2010 for previews. Needless to say we got refunds. Finally tonight Spiderman opened. Going in there were pros and cons.

The Pros: Julie Taymor who is a brilliant genius. U2 who are excellent rock musicians.

The Cons: Everything. Everything about this should make you think "This is going to suck big time".

We went to the opening preview tonight at 6:30. The news was out in full force. The line was a full block long. Leslie Stahl who did a segment on 60 Minutes about it, was sent to the end of the line. Yes, in full length fur coat, Leslie Stahl back to the back.

There were no programs being sold, only t-shirts for $40, and a lame poster. The show and audience were being filmed this evening. I imagine so they know what works and what doesn't.

The show started a half hour late. A Producer came out and announced that if there were difficulties the show would be stopped and started as necessary.

There were 3 stoppages in the First Act and 1 major one (right before the climax) in the second.

So, how was the show? Quite possibly one of the most spectacular Broadway productions ever. The staging, direction, acting, and theatrics are beyond the scope of anything ever done before (at points it reminded me of The Wall). I hate musicals, but U2 are not Broadway composers. This was so clearly U2 with a Broadway edge. The songs were great and most important memorable.

The problems are quite immense, and as the show is already $68 million in the hole, it could be doomed before it starts. It's not for Spiderman loving kids. This show is way too sophisticated for children. Old people are not going to want to see this. Spiderman geeks might not pay $140 a ticket. The stoppages all came from the arial effects, and not during the difficult ones. Spiderman at the end of Act One got stuck over the audience. It took stage hands about 5 minutes to grab his leg and pull him on stage. Act Two didn't start for almost 40 minutes as they tried to find what was stopping the rigging from moving. The worst part, Act Two is nowhere near as good as Act One. Many people were talking about it as they left.

This show officially opens (fingers crossed) January 11, 2011. Anyone who loves theatre should see it. It they fix everything and make a few changes to liven up Act Two, it should deservedly run for years. But, if it doesn't, see it before it closes. It is well worth it.

Thanks for the review. I would love to see this. I hope it doesn't
close before I get a chance to head to NYC in March.

I must see this because I think it will be a huge failure. I'm a comic nerd and well you know how we can judge comic stuff.

Hopefully it will run for years. It deserves to.

Julie Taymor created Broadway's The Lion King. The artistry that went into that show was incredible. Where Disney's Beauty and The Beast and Tarzan (what a piece of crap) stayed true to the Disney cartoon characters, Taymor went a thousand times further. The costuming, sets, are breathtaking. It's the same here with Spiderman. This isn't theatre, it's live art of the highest caliber.

It's such a shame that all anyone can mention on line is the technical difficulties.

Buck you just might hate it.

I must see this because I think it will be a huge failure. I'm a comic nerd and well you know how we can judge comic stuff.

Awww! Don't be like that! :P

All musicals and plays have to work out the kinks. Besides, they have to find some way to bring people back into Broadway. I mean, how many times can you revive "The Fantastiks"?

I hope it works!

-- spinner :cool:

No longer opening in January. They're hoping for February. NY Times wrote today (through anonymous source) they're fixing Act Two, especially the ending.

Now at least I don't have to see it so close to each other.

Pre-opening curses continue, as I'm sure you've all heard. Injured actor, and more dark nights. :(

I'll be amazed if it makes the money back; though I was wrong about Avatar, too. ;)

No matter how it ends up, it'll still be better than the musical Batman: Out of the Cave

Supposedly after putting in the new safety measures, the show went off without a hitch.

It was human error that caused the actor to get injured (I bet someone lost their job).

Once, the show opens and the reviews come out, it'll run for years. The music, the stunning theatrically of the arial pieces, and the incredible staging will make it a hit. But, only for those that really love the theatre.

The lead actress dropped out of the show this week. She was injured (received a concussion) opening night. She was out till mid-December. After the actor fell I guess she got frightened, and is out. It's a shame, her voice was a highlight from the show.

I know I saw a couple of entertainment features about the show, and it's ups and downs-What strikes me, and maybe you can confirm this: it sounds like the most ambitious, staging/choreography wise, project that has been attempted on broadway-I mean the amount of swinging around the audience, the Goblin on his glider, everything-it's sounds like it's trying to push boundries that really haven't been attempted. I wonder if it will do what others shows have done and after a few years go on a tour-but it sounds like setting it up for different sized theatres and all the problems therein, it might be a nightmare techinically to try a tour.

It sounds like one of those shows that's either going to completely smash attendance records, or it's going to be an absolute dud attendance wise (though selling that many tickets seems to put it, for the moment, in the former category)

I think one way or another we could be seeing theatre history happening here-whether it's good or bad remains to be seen.

I just love how The Muppets are still keeping me entertained as an adult (grown-up kid) and entertaining new generations of children. So glad they didn't fade away into the ether. :)

I was a bit disappointed that they showed a really safe number at the Tony's on Sunday (on a side note, great show this year). As for wanting to see the musical. I do. But only because I would love to see anything on Broadway, especially this season.

@Flicker, Can you wait for the new Muppet Movie? I can't.

I don't want to give it away. But, they've only really changed the story around. So, while I saw the first preview, I already saw the new ending, and it is spectacular.

The second act was a let down. But, the music is definitively U2 and the acting was supreme. Supposedly they really have cut out all the crap. The staging and acrobatics are like nothing I've ever seen on Broadway before.

Taymor's the Lion King is second to the spectacle of Spiderman. But, from what I've heard War Horses is a MUST SEE. Supposedly if you don't ball like a baby, you ain't human.

Taymor's the Lion King is second to the spectacle of Spiderman. But, from what I've heard War Horses is a MUST SEE. Supposedly if you don't ball like a baby, you ain't human.

I saw War Horse when it stated at the National and despite the fact that it's technically and emotionally powerful, it's really simplistic story and acting and the target audience is definitely 'families'. Not necessarily a bad thing but I think it's more of a 'show' than a piece of theatre.

I just love how The Muppets are still keeping me entertained as an adult (grown-up kid) and entertaining new generations of children. So glad they didn't fade away into the ether. :)

I remember one of the Sesame Street anniversary shows a few years back, and one of the original cast members or creators said something like (I'm paraprasing) "Our first priority was to make a children's show that was entertaining for children. Our second priority was to make a children's show that was entertaining for adults."

Mission accomplished.

I saw War Horse when it stated at the National and despite the fact that it's technically and emotionally powerful, it's really simplistic story and acting and the target audience is definitely 'families'. Not necessarily a bad thing but I think it's more of a 'show' than a piece of theatre.

Did you ball like a baby?

Anything that has to do with animals touches me. I not ashamed to say I cried at Turner and Hooch.

Back