Canon 550D... will i regret it?

I'm considering buying a 550d but am worried i'll regret not spending more and getting the 7d. If anyone could give me their experiences of both that would be awesome!

I'm looking to mainly shoot shorts, possibly a feature and some corporate work.

Main advantages of the 7D are better build quality/weatherproofing and HD out while recording, so you have high enough resolution to pull focus from a monitor. Have you considered meeting halfway with the 60D?

Hi corpustle!

I own a Canon 7D. Purchased it back before I'd seen t2i vs. 7D video quality tests.

It seems the two are pretty much indistinguishable in terms of video quality.

For what it's worth, I halfway regret having not known more about the t2i then, because I would more than likely have purchased a t2i and put that extra $800 bucks toward a lens or 24-bit audio recorder.

Now, I can't say I totally regret the 7D. It is indeed built like a tank and feels quite substantial when holding it, and there are other benefits, but again - we're really only talking in terms of video capability. The t2i is a very capable camera!

Hope this info helps your decision.

I've got a friend who owns the 7D. He regrets his purchase. We used both of our cameras (I have the T2i/550D) on our most recent shoot. Footage is indistinguishable.

Get the 7D if you're a serious photographer. If this is for filmmaking only, 550D.

I'm pretty new to photography. Can you link a good site that tells me what 1.8 50mm Prime and other lens I don't know is used for and for what type of feel? Thanks.

here is what I shot today w/ my T2i. w/ a 24mm wide lens and a 135mm lens. I did not move the cam from one cut to the other. Notice the perspective compression in the 2nd half from using the long lens ( 135 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCynmugeFK0

Getting some decent prime lenses is a good idea but be warned that if you're shooting at a wide aperture like 2.0 or less you may have some trouble keeping your subjects in focus since the focus plane will be razor thin. (I had this problem with the 1.8 50mm lens even for stills.)

I have a Tameron 90mm f2.8 that gives absolutely beautiful imagery and highly recommend it for a medium telephoto lens for crop-factor cameras. A 50mm prime will give you great character shots and the cheaper 35mm prime is an excellent "normal" lens. I don't have a wide-angle prime yet since those tend to be quite expensive.

Very interesting guys! The 60D does seem like a very nice go between! I have a sony DSLR at the mo and LOVE having the tilting LCD screen and i can imagine it being hugely helpful while shooting video. I was wondering quickly about the kit lens', is there a noticeable quality difference between the 18-55, and the 18-135?

I was wondering quickly about the kit lens', is there a noticeable quality difference between the 18-55, and the 18-135?

In general, the less the range of the lens, the higher the quality of image you'll get. While the zoom lenses are more versatile, the best quality images will come from prime lenses that don't zoom at all. I've also noticed that the zoom lenses that go wide tend to have a little more distortion around the edges. I discovered this when comparing my 15-85 set at 35mm against my 35mm prime.

The 18-55 is a good little lens for the cost. The 50mm 2.8 macro is also a very good lower-cost lens and I strongly recommend it.

Be aware that it can be tough to keep proper focus when looking at the camera's LCD screen, so I'd stay away from apertures lower than 2.0. I've been trying to make a short by myself, and even with a tripod and focus target I've managed a lot of slightly-out-of-focus shots.

I now know to stay away from the FD lenses for canon EOS. I have success w/ Contax / Yaschica adapters and I have read good stuff and seen impressive footage w/ Nikon adapters for Canon EOS cams

Of what I've seen this is the "low cost" camera to have.
Well for me it'd be the most expensive thing i'd have bought ever but that's not the point. Maan can't wait until next summer to work a few weeks to get this.

bare in mind the 50 mm F1.4 on the 550D will actually be a 70mm because of the crop factor caused by the sensor being 4/3 and the lens being made for the full frame cameras

the 50mm F1.8 on the other hand is the ef-s lens and will give you 50mm, but you lose that 0.2 stops and there is nicer bokeh on the F1.4 due to more blades. but you'd expect that from a lens that is thrice the price.

i have the F1.4 and i'm getting the F1.8 from christmas for my 500D

the 1.4 cannon is a really nice lens, checkout my flickr for examples www.flickr.com/photos/bigmikeyeah
most of my recent stuff is with the 50 EF F1.4 prime lens, apart from the two most recent of the face in the water.

:)

Back