Need help picking out a camera

So I have decided to get a camcorder anywhere from 250-450.

With that being said I have been looking into the Panasonic HDCS60K, Sony HDR-CX110 and the JVC MG750.

I plan on doing this for short films and what not with friends. So I'm looking for one with

-Good Quality
-Good Zoom
- Manual Focus
-Preferably a mic input
- Good low light performance
-Preferably records at a 60i frame rate
- Good Battery Life

With that being said I've been leaning towards the Sony HDR CX110 but the only thing is it does not have a mic input. If I can get some advice on these camcorders or even another camcorder to buy please let me know!

Thanks.

I used the canon HV20 for a feature back in the day. Decent cam. Any camcorder in the price range you are talking will have poor low light performance, period. The canon HV lineup has been used by many indie filmmakers on a budget.

If you want good low light performance, you will need to get a T2i, and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens and you are looking at $900 right now for both. You will need a digital sound recorder, mic, cables & boom pole $600 more to start.

I used the canon HV20 for a feature back in the day. Decent cam. Any camcorder in the price range you are talking will have poor low light performance, period. The canon HV lineup has been used by many indie filmmakers on a budget.

If you want good low light performance, you will need to get a T2i, and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens and you are looking at $900 right now for both. You will need a digital sound recorder, mic, cables & boom pole $600 more to start.

It's true, nothing in the OP's price-range will shoot well in low light. However, the added cost of acquiring decent audio is the same for any camera under the multi-thousand-dollar price range. No matter the camera, you're going to want a decent shotgun mic, at the very least. If you go DSLR, you'll want an external recorder. If you go with a low-level camcorder, even if it's prosumer, you'll need an XLR adapter, which is just as expensive as a cheap external recorder. So, six or one-half-dozen of the other.

JBregz, I'm afraid I'm not the guy to make recommendations about any particular camera in your price-range, but I definitely would like to add a couple things to your must-have list. I think it should look something more like this:

Manual focus (preferably with a focus-ring)
Manual exposure
Manual white-balance
Audio input

I wouldn't worry so much about the zoom capacities. That's a non-issue, to me. I suggest researching whether you can purchase a wide-angle lens adapter.

It's true, nothing in the OP's price-range will shoot well in low light. However, the added cost of acquiring decent audio is the same for any camera under the multi-thousand-dollar price range. No matter the camera, you're going to want a decent shotgun mic, at the very least. If you go DSLR, you'll want an external recorder. If you go with a low-level camcorder, even if it's prosumer, you'll need an XLR adapter, which is just as expensive as a cheap external recorder. So, six or one-half-dozen of the other.

JBregz, I'm afraid I'm not the guy to make recommendations about any particular camera in your price-range, but I definitely would like to add a couple things to your must-have list. I think it should look something more like this:

Manual focus (preferably with a focus-ring)
Manual exposure
Manual white-balance
Audio input

I wouldn't worry so much about the zoom capacities. That's a non-issue, to me. I suggest researching whether you can purchase a wide-angle lens adapter.

So I just purchased the Sony HDR CX110. Loving it so far. It has really nice quality with manual focus, theres a spot focus and mtr focus (Not sure what that is) It's got a manual white balance as well as exposure and shutter. Unfortunately it does not have a mic input which is it's only downside right now. But aren't there audio things out there that you can buy to record audio that are fairly in expensive?

My dad said if I want to pitch in like an extra 100 or so I can so I can get like a 600 dollar one.
I was thinking about the Sony HDR-XR150

Heres what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpJfecPskI

I'm just trying to figure out its specs and anyones personal exp with it.

I love the CX110 but I have a few gripes: No mic input, and its all touchscreen so in order to focus I need to touch the screen which can be tedious at times.

Back