Flip Ultra HD

I posted here a while back about what kind of camera I might want, and at first I seemed adamant that I did not want to use the Flip HD cameras because of the concerns I had. I've changed my mind, after talking to my uncle, who uses it to shoot underwater whenever he goes scuba diving. He got some great quality video of the coral reefs that he shot in the Florida Keys with the plastic case that protects it. I've decided to get one as a starter, particularly the Ultra HD with 2 hour battery, plus accessories.

I'm also going to get the Final Cut Express, since I have a Mac, but I know that whatever I shoot has to be converted first (I think because of the USB connection) before it can be imported into the editing software, unless there is any software that I don't know about that can help you bypass that step. Overall, the price is great, and with the extra accessories (case, tripod mount and extra battery) plus the Final Cut software, I calculated it at B&H Photo and Video, and it totals just over $320 or so. I don't have the exact amount, but it's less than I would have gotten for the single Panasonic camera I was thinking about buying. I think that this will be a good starter camera for me.

iMovie is free and you can prolly find a Flip on eBay that way you can save up for a better cam. You will love playing w/ the Flip, but soon, very soon see it's limitations and want better.

However, it it gets you started... go for it ! You can always use the Flip for a "B Cam" and the Final Cut wil always have a use

I have a flip ultra HD and its fun, like a pocket recorder for capturing ideas. I also want to get\make a clear case and strap it to my car front bumper, low to the ground and drive around the city.. . that could be some cool footage for something..

I do recommend getting something like a halo rig (or DIY) that camera is VERY sensitive to shake and does some really strange stuff with jitters..
oh, and be prepared for some strange motion artifacts.. I used my flip for this behind the scenes footage from a shot I helped on last weekend..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPx6h-ZhcUY

Thanks. At this point, now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure about what camera I might want. I've been looking at some of the deals in the Best Buy newspaper insert for tomorrow, on some of the regular-sized camcorders from JVC, Sony, etc. The prices are very reasonable, but it's all a matter of accessories, whether it's compatible with a Mac, etc. I also tend to be swayed sometimes by customer reviews I read on Amazon.com or other sites. I'm going to keep looking, ask around, and see what I can find.

I bought the Kodak Zi8. Its a pretty fun camera that is like the flip except it takes SD cards (up to 32 GB) and does 1080p HD. But I have to agree with IndieBudget. After a while your going to get tire of the limitations and want something better. These types of cameras have literally no manual control Just A record button and digital zoom. And like Wheatgrinder said, They are extremely shaky. A user advertised these stedicams once.http://www.freewebstore.org/GipsyCameraEquipment/The_Gnome/p516164_1916845.aspx I haven't got one to test yet but soon.

I'm not saying they are horrible cameras but there is definitely better out there. You can make this camera work for you but its going to take longer to set up your shots since you have to control the environment around you rather than on the camera.

I unfortunately bought the Kodak Zi8, not to say it's a bad camera...mine just happened to come with a dead pixel out of the box. It is a fun little camera either way. The only other bad thing I can say about is the zoom is very limited. If you are considering a Flip, definitely check out the Zi8 if anything for the cost (they only run about $100).

I think what I might do is just try it out, play with it (the Flip camera) when I go to Best Buy and then I might see if it suits my needs. Like I said, it might be a good starter camera, and I might look into the steadicam as well.

I unfortunately bought the Kodak Zi8, not to say it's a bad camera...mine just happened to come with a dead pixel out of the box. It is a fun little camera either way. The only other bad thing I can say about is the zoom is very limited. If you are considering a Flip, definitely check out the Zi8 if anything for the cost (they only run about $100).

You should return and get a new one. It has a one year warranty.

In all honesty you would be better off looking for a sony handycam if your looking for a starter camera that's going to tie you over for awhile. Of course if you are just looking for something to keep on you at all times to point and shoot, the flip and zi8 are the way to go. but the handycams are cheaper (especially on ebay, i got my 30 gb for $25) and a lot better. i use mine as my main camera until i can purchase a canon xl2.

http://dizxfilms.com
sony handycams
canon xl2

I'll look into the Sony Handycam, but since I have a Mac, it depends on whether or not it will work with that. I know that there's a program that Apple has that converts the video into MPEG-2 Quicktime files, but I'm just not sure if it's compatible.

Just google the name of most any cam you would be thinking of buying and FCE and you will see if anyone has any probs.

Most cams now output in .MOV or AVI. FCE should not have an issue

Heck Im on Linux and Ive used several cams and never an issue. Only issue I have now is that Cinelerra ( my editing program ) does not like the audio that the T2i puts out, but no problem, I'll just run the file thru FFMPEG and rip an audio file from the original and match it up if I need the audio from the cam. I get all audio from my trusty H4n anyhoo so not a big issue

Last edited:
Please, for the love of God, do not buy a steadicam for your Flip. An angel loses it's wings, every time someone commits this heinous crime.

Take a look at wheatgrinder's video. You see how the color of the sky keeps changing? Yeah, that'd be due to having no manual exposure. It looks kind of weird in this continuous shot, but at least it changes kinda-sorta gradually. Now, imagine cutting two shots together, in which the exposure is completely different, because you don't have control over it. It will look horrible.

This is not a filmmakers' camera. Only thing it's good for is recreational use.

If budget is an issue, and you can only spend a couple hundred bucks, I'd take a used miniDV consumer camcorder over one of these, any day. Manual exposure. Manual focus. Manual white-balance. Must-have. Any brand, as long as it's in perfect working order, and has the three things I've mentioned. Oh, and an audio input, too. A focus-ring doesn't hurt.

Why do you want a flip-cam? Cuz it's HD? Who cares? Almost every festival in existence screens in SD.

Last edited:
Oh, and Macs will handle any video format. Don't worry about that. Depending on your software, you may need to work around codecs, or some mumbo-jumbo, but if you get Final Cut Express, you'll be fine. No video format has any incompatibility with Mac.

I have the option to purchase two Zi8s for $100 total, I figure I'll get them, and use them in the places I'm too nervous to put my Fx7, IE Strapped to the bumper of a car/motorcycle. Sure, the picture migh tnot be the steadiest, but these shots won't be the main focal point of the film, more just movement to help give the story direction and a chase angle of a vehicle with the actors.

And hell, ever seen Tony Scott's newest films? I don't think the cameras ever hold still...

I'm not really worried about the video, but mainly if the camcorder itself is compatible with the camera, and all I've seen so far in the searches I've done are cameras that are only compatible with a PC. Like I said, the Flip camera is only something I'm interested as a starter camera, and eventually, once I earn enough to get something better, I will upgrade to it. I thank all of you for your help and advice, but I do know that this is ultimately my decision, and right now I am leaning towards the Flip, but I certainly will upgrade to a higher-end camera, maybe something more professional once I have enough money. Thanks, everyone.

Of course it's a starter camera. And I'm strongly advising against using this as a starter camera. Something else, in the same price-range, with greater control, will allow you to practice your skills to a much greater extent. I never told you it's not your decision. I'm just telling you that I think it's a bad decision. If you're on a dime, I think used miniDV is the way to go.

I know, and I understand. I just don't know if miniDV is going to be compatible with the Mac, that's all. I'm sorry if I keep asking again and again. I just don't want to make the wrong move regardless. Thanks.

Back