Sony XR500VE

Hi guys.

I want to shoot a movie!

I already own a Sony HDR XR500VE and have enjoyed using it for holiday videos and the like. It has 3.5mm audio input, as well as a hot shoe for better spec (even wireless) microphones. It also has a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also has a viewfinder. It has manual focus and white balance and shoots full HD 1080. The only downside to this camera is that it doesn't shoot 24p, only 50i. Also, it looks like a consumer camera (mainly due to the fact that it is a consumer camera).

Would you consider shooting a movie with this camera? What about peoples opinions of shooting movies with consumer cameras? Is it a big no-no to shoot with something that looks like a consumer camera? If you explained to everyone involved before the shoot, that you were making a micro-budget movie, would they understand the use of a consumer product?

My other option would be to rent a Canon XL H1. What benefit would this give me, other than looking slightly more professional?

Cheers!

It's not the tool but the person who uses it. Master the craft grasshopper.

You certainly could make a movie with that cam. A pro-quality cam would be better. You need to know if the cam will work based on your shot list. Will you need low light capabilities ? DOF and the like?

Just do it ! learn grow and repeat. shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Create your style and you will know what cam will work for you.

best
of luck !

Back