Canon 550d

Hey guys I was thinking about returning my Canon hfs-100 and purchasing a Canon 550d. If you are wondering why it is because a few reasons. I've heard many things about the 550d all positive. The biggest selling point was the microphone shoe aswell as the manual focus as well as zoom. If you guys have any thoughts you can share with me and if this is a ridiculous idea

I have the T2i and it is the same as the 550. You are still going to have some noticable issues with either type of cam, a HDSLR or a Camcorder. I think you will have more flexibility w/ the 550D being able to swap lenses is a great plus. Still we are using it for something it was not fully designed to do, so you still have to work w/ the pluses and the minuses

I have the T2i and it is the same as the 550. You are still going to have some noticable issues with either type of cam, a HDSLR or a Camcorder. I think you will have more flexibility w/ the 550D being able to swap lenses is a great plus. Still we are using it for something it was not fully designed to do, so you still have to work w/ the pluses and the minuses

Thank you for replying so fast, and yeah I had thought about the fact that it is meant for photography but more research around the web made me realize that they were actually marketing it more toward making movies, I think the biggest pluses are the changeable lenses aswell as being able to be more diverse with each shot with the manual focus and zoom

With this camera how would I operate a shotgun mic (attached to a boompole)

If you want usable sound, you'll need to buy an external audio recorder. The 550D is a stills camera that does video, so its audio features are even more lacking than some low-end consumer camcorders - the audio components aren't especially good quality, and you have no manual control over levels.

Hi!

I own a 550D, and I absolutely love it. I did my research before I bought it though. If you think you can live with the specific cons of DSLR video, then I would recommend the cam.

I'm sure you've already done some research, but I think the following can be useful nonetheless:
http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/

Here you can download a free, well-written and to-the-point overview of DSLR-for-video pros and cons. It was very useful to me, so I hope it can be for you too.

Cheerio
Dimitry

Back