HV30 or HV40 w/ DoF Adapter

After this weekend, I'm going to get a Canon HV30 or HV40(I don't really know if there is that much of a difference). It's in my budget and i like the quality. I found a couple good priced HV30's and HV40's I think I'll get a DoF adapter on it. I know rik said it was cmos as opposed to 3ccd, but is that big problem, besides for Jello effect? Has anybody used one of these? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? :D

I looked into the Jag35 adapters (I own an HV20) thinking I would be able to use my old Pentax K-mount lenses, of which I have plenty. Sadly, there is no adapter (or at least I couldn't find one) that would work, so I'm out of luck with that.

However, I have recently been shooting some test footage for DoF with a wide angle lens (no 35mm adapter) and the results have been pretty good. When I get a clip that I like I'll be sure to post the results here.

Good luck!

After this weekend, I'm going to get a Canon HV30 or HV40(I don't really know if there is that much of a difference). It's in my budget and i like the quality. I found a couple good priced HV30's and HV40's I think I'll get a DoF adapter on it. I know rik said it was cmos as opposed to 3ccd, but is that big problem, besides for Jello effect? Has anybody used one of these? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? :D

I haven't used the HV series before, but I've seen lots of great looking indie films done with one and a 35mm adaptor - before the advent of the 5D MKII et al, it seemed to be the most popular choice at that price point. If you can find a good deal on one then go for it, but I'd rather have a DSLR despite their limitations.

CMOS has gotten much better. In most cameras today they are better
than CCD’s. And many cameras are using three of them. But on that 2
year old camera, the one CMOS chip does not compare well to three CCD’s.

As I said in the other thread, the HV30 is an excellent camera. In
2008 is was just about the best, small, inexpensive camera
available. Any two year old camera will not compare will to a
current camera. Just like any camera you buy today will not
compare well to an equal camera in November of 2012.

I can almost guarantee you will not be able to notice the
difference between the 30 and the 40 or that the single CMOS they
used wasn’t as good the three CCD’s of 2008.

Couple of years ago i choose my set up. So not knowing the hv30 or 40 that well.. but was in the same spot than where are you now.

With the money I had to spend was the hv20 with a letus35mini with a nikon mount and cavision rodsystem the best buy.

I choose cmos above ccd.. simple cause everywhere I asked and looked people advised me this choice.

The 35mm from letus.. was at that point (don't follow it nowday's, as I have my set up and are very happy with it) the best adapter on the market for these small camcorders.. I advise you the same.

And beside the letus and canon, very important for me was the best lenses possible.. so I went for the Nikkor mount and only use nikkor lenses.. best start with a 50 / 55mm.

I must say, seein people nowdays film more and more with the photocamera's gives me the idea I maybe would choose at this moment an other set up.. but my set up does a really great job.. also hv20 without the letus.. handy dandy full auto camcorder..

maybe this helps you with your choice..

greetings from the lowlands, mike d.

Back