• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'No Anaesthetic' a punk-rock road-trip documentary

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share the first teaser trailer to my newest project, a rock n' roll road trip documentary about an aspiring punk band from Melbourne, Australia.

In 2010 I followed Backyard Surgeons as they set out on their first overseas tour. With no label, no managers, no money and not much of a plan they backpacked though post-communist China and South-East Asia. What originally started as just a DIY road-trip turned to become much much more as I got to know the guys and their stories.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4F0I9bxjU

So we've really only just began post-production and now are starting to look at the options on how to get the film out there once it's done. What have other people's experiences been like trying to find distribution for an independent doco?

Hope you guys enjoy the little sneak peek!

On the road with a band documentaries are never boring. Have you seen Lightning Bolt's "The Power of Salad and Milkshakes?" Great film.

What have other people's experiences been like trying to find distribution for an independent doco?

If you don't have success getting a standard deal you could try sticking a lot of it online and make money from secondary revenue streams: Merchandise, DVD extended cuts, Google Ads. A poster on here called Indiebudget knows a lot about that field, and makes a decent living from it.

I talked to an industry insider a year or so ago, she has made big money ITB. She said that the online model was a big deal, a lot of people are making good money from it, and a some industry types are annoyed/worried that we can cut out the middle man now. She said they didn't want too many people to know about that. Her words. I don't know enough to comment for sure but she was honest, straightforward, helpful and successful.

I lived in South China for two years. Great place.

Back