Looking for a Camera...

I'm looking for a good semi-professional starter camera? What do you guys recommend? i was thinking I might go with the Canon GL2, but I'd hate to buy it and know i probably could have gotten a better camera for my budget. My budget is up to $1,200.00. Any recommendations for cameras and/or reasons I shouldn't get the GL2? Thnx :)

Also, keep in mind, I'm 18 so the camera is about as much as i can afford. lol.

No it isn't. You can save $100 by getting the Japanese version, the Kiss X4 (exact same camera). You're budget is $1,200, so that leaves room to buy an external audio recorder (very good idea). You'll have to up your budget just slightly, to get a mic and a good tripod.

The kiss x4 is a good idea. Also, Cracker, I would search Ebay, but I don't have a huge knowledge in cameras. All I have ever used is Canon GL1 and XH A1. So, I don't really know what cameras would fall into my budget and are worth the money. Recommendations? I may just have to do some more research.

Both cameras you mention are fine cameras. The GL is
standard def and the XH is high def.

The reality is any camera by the four major manufacturers
(JVC, Canon, Sony, Panasonic) in your price range are going
to be worth the money.

My current favorites in your price range are:
JVC GZ-HM1
Panasonic HDC-TM300
Sony HDR-CX550V
Canon HF S21
Canon HF S11
JVC GZ-HM400

Any of these will be worth the money and will leave you some
cash to get a shotgun mic - which is as important as a camera.

A boom mic will plug into a camera like that? The Panasonic HDC? Or, do i need some sort of adapter? I'm sorry lol I feel like I'm asking dumb questions.

Depends on the mic. But it's not "boom mic", it's "shotgun mic" that will suit you best. No such thing as "boom mic". The boom is the long stick that you attach the mic to, to get it closer to your subjects.

Super-cheap shotgun mic's can be found for around $30-$50. Needless to say, they do not sound particularly good, but using them can be better than using the on-cam mic. This kind of mic is unbalanced, meaning it's the same kind of plug you use for headphones.

A good mic starts at $300, and that is really the low-end. They will require an XLR input, which are only available on high-end multi-thousand-dollar prosumer cameras. To use this kind of mic on a lower-end camera, you'll need either an XLR-adapter (works well for low-end prosumer cameras) or an external recorder (necessary for DSLR, also works well for prosumer cameras).

Depends on the mic. But it's not "boom mic", it's "shotgun mic" that will suit you best. No such thing as "boom mic". The boom is the long stick that you attach the mic to, to get it closer to your subjects.

Super-cheap shotgun mic's can be found for around $30-$50. Needless to say, they do not sound particularly good, but using them can be better than using the on-cam mic. This kind of mic is unbalanced, meaning it's the same kind of plug you use for headphones.

A good mic starts at $300, and that is really the low-end. They will require an XLR input, which are only available on high-end multi-thousand-dollar prosumer cameras. To use this kind of mic on a lower-end camera, you'll need either an XLR-adapter (works well for low-end prosumer cameras) or an external recorder (necessary for DSLR, also works well for prosumer cameras).

Thank you =]

Do you know anything about the hv30 because I'm taking a liking to the price and the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWGiW9pUp38&feature=related

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-HV30-35mm...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item1c173395c7

Last edited:
In it's day the Canon HV30 was an excellent camera
in the $1,000 range. It has a mic input and manual
controls of white balance and focus but it uses one
1/2.7” CMOS sensor rather than 3 CCD’s. That's a
great deal with the lens adaptor.

Back