Need producers in Montreal, Quebec, Canada for a horror movie

Good Day Producers

My projet has very commercial potential. Low budget (less than one million). Expectation: at least 5 to 20 millions gross.

LOGLINE: A group of teenagers becomes the target of an evil force. They will live atrocities and die, but a few will survive the night. It is just the beginning. The entity will come to them again to finish what it started.

(similar genre: Halloween, Friday the 13, Nightmare on elm street, Maniac cop, Exorcist, Evil Dead, Texas chainsaw massacre.... please note those movies are all low budget except for Exorcist.

Just give the audience what they want. That`s a simple formula.

Regards,

Steph-025@hotmail.com

Last edited:
I don't think giving potential producers an estimated gross is a good idea. They're producers, they can do that on their own.

I agree in such way. But they wouldn`t be able to estimate gross without reading my script. So I put down 5 to 20 millions. It is just an average. Could be more than that. How do I calculate this? Simple. I went to IMDB and checked for similiar genres and looked for the budget and gross of course.

Thanks for the reply. Every suggestion is worth to hear it.

Regards,

I have a few suggestions that might make your quest more
professional.

Do not limit yourself to producers in one area unless you are
unwilling to work with anyone living/working anywhere else.

Do not estimate what you feel the finished movie will make. I can
do research to show that movies in similar genres and budgets have
lost everything. Just because 10 or 20 or 1,000 made at least 5 to
20 million gross doesn’t mean yours will. And as Sweeny pointed
out, it’s the producer who understands this far better than the
writer. Without reading your script I can tell you from experience
that the finished film made from your script could lose everything
or it could make $350,000,000. And any number in-between.

Right now your logline reads like a movie poster advertisement. It
tell us nothing about YOUR story or characters. It only touches on
the theme. A more professional logline will go a long what with
producers.

You might want to mention if you are looking for producers to find
money for you to direct the film or if you are looking for
producers to buy your script. Mention exactly what you hope your
roll in the production will be.

I’m looking for an excellent, unique horror script. I do not meet
your criteria so I cannot help, but I wish you the best of luck
finding your producer.

1- I don`t limit myself to producers in one area. I`m just trying to get some in my location and if it brings nothing then I will look further. No need to rush. That movie will be made for sure. That is only a matter of time.

2- I feel free to estimate the finished movie because it is a matter of money first. Movie has to be commercial if not I wouldn`t be able to make others. What would be the point to make only one film? I can`t allow myself to fail.

3- Do I want to sell my script or find the financing funds? Depends. I`m wide open to any offers. Like I said, it is a matter of money.

4- For the logline. When you watch a trailer, that shows you what the movie is basically. Not too much and that`s enough for the viewers to decide if they will go see that story being told. I will not elaborate much on my story on that forum. But I will surely do with serious producers in private.

5- You`re looking for an excellent, unique horror script. If you`re looking for similar genres, I have written in my first thread than maybe I have what you are looking for.

Please note my script is original and uniquely frightening.

A 5 to 20 million estimated gross is a ludicrous over valuation and, as a result, belittles your post to the realms of the absurd and delusional.

If you want to approach it seriously then you need to understand that you aren't going to be making anything like that money (if any money at all) if you're advertising for producers on an internet forum. We're all good workers here (myself excepted) but none of us have the firepower to drive a multi million dollar grossing film.

If you want to make a film and are looking for a producer then I would recommend starting small and trying to attract help on the strength of the premise and script (if it's even been written?)...

2- I feel free to estimate the finished movie because it is a matter of money first. Movie has to be commercial if not I wouldn`t be able to make others. What would be the point to make only one film? I can`t allow myself to fail.

To echo, Rik. This isn't your job to do so, nor do i believe the grounds you've come to your estimate are "Matter of fact" to your current situation. Not only this, but for a Writer to present a Producer with estimation of profit is not far from comical.

I must say your "Logline" offers nothing in the shape of appeal. It's simply sitting on the surface of the Genre, and would therefore when presenting to possible Producers, be an instant dismissal. What hope is there for the script, if the Writer cannot follow procedure as substancial as a Logline?

I would not discourage you to aim lower, although this may be the wise option, be it you've mentioned you have numerous scripts. Meaning, if you where to effectively create your material "Low budget" and it where deamed a sucess, or simply turned a profit. This would give you the backing- Not a certainty- to go in search of funding, and perhaps meet your estimations for another project.

However, as you appear determined to pursue the heights you've set, and i applaud you for doing so, it would be in your favor to listen to the advice given. Make the necessary changes suggested by Rik, who has many years experience, and is willing to help.

In Hollywood jargon, a "log line" is a one-sentence summary of the pitch for a proposed movie or television series. Such a sales pitch is often used by a screenwriter to secure development support from a studio executive, such as a producer.

In Hollywood jargon, a "log line" is a one-sentence summary of the pitch for a proposed movie or television series. Such a sales pitch is often used by a screenwriter to secure development support from a studio executive, such as a producer.

That is true.

Yet you haven't supplied us with a one-sentence logline. If you are following this procedure, then i would believe the first line will suffice.

"A group of teenagers become the target of an evil force."

With that said, there are still points you haven't met that the below have suggested.

Exactly.

Thus my suggestion that you revise your logline to a one sentence
summary rather then the four lines you current call a logline.

Stephane, we are not working against you. We are all supporting
you and offering suggestions to make your pitch more professional.
If you feel we are wrong and your current pitch is the most
professional it can be then you can, of course, continue using it.
The four of us might very well be wrong.

You seem very resistant to altering your pitch. Is your current
method getting a lot of responses from producers?

I`m stubborn. Sorry.

What about this logline?

A county sheriff has to protect his small town community against an ancien evil that has come out of its lying dormant state and took a group of teeenagers for target.

Better. But confusing.

It’s interesting that the main character is a County Sheriff - a
character not even mentioned in your four line logline.

The main character is pretty much like
Donald Pleasence (Sam Loomis) in Halloween,
Bruce Campbell (Jack Forrest0 in Maniac Cop,
Tom Atkins (Ray Cameron) in Night of the creeps,
George Clooney (Seth Gecko) in From dusk till dawn,
Michael Biehn (Kyle Reese) in Terminator...etc...

Is the script done?

Silly question. Someone else asked and yet no answer.

And from the list of characters you name (which are mainly talented big named actors BTW) Does your script really back that up or is it fan-fiction?

As for geography I'm in Ottawa, as for movie budgets a no-budget film is still a sub-million film isn't it?

Yes. The script is done. I finished it this year after 12 years of work.

Does your script really back that up or is it fan-fiction? My story is so unique. I don`t recall that I have seen a movie with that kind of characters structure. Teens and Adults are in front. There is a triple connection. This movie will be for people from 13 to 60 years of age.

18 to 60 for the unrated version.

This movie is pure terror, reathtakingly anguish. It is also about friendship, love, sadness and pain. This movie is about life and courage. Life still worth living no matter what could happen. The county Sheriff is the protector. The one that can wash away any fear because anticipation of death is worst than the death itself. Anyone deserve to be saved....

As for geography, I`m a French Canadian from Québec.

Have any agencies read the script and offered to represent you? What other features have you written? Anything produced? The budgets and grosses you're talking about should easily get you an agent if the script is as good as you claim.

Curious, but why haven't you heeded any of the advice in the thread you linked?

I suspect the reason you haven't attracted producers is because
your pitch isn't as good as it could be. You have used several
tactics that are typical of non-professionals. I'm not saying you
are being unprofessional, only that your pitch here isn't as
professional as it could be.

As you mentioned, you are stubborn. Nothing wrong with that,
but you have gotten some excellent advice on making your pitch
more professional that you have decided not to use. That may
be why you are not attracting producers with money.

I like how you're calling it Uniquely Frightening,pure terror and reathtakingly anguish but I do not get that feeling from the log line that you have given us. Are you willing to give us a brake down of the story?

I have to say that giving an potential financial outcome to producers is both arrogant and presumptuous. This a a big no no according to a lot of screenwriting books and books on how to find agents.

Back