Possibly buying T2i, need opinions in comparison with other alternative

If no one minds, I'd really appreciate some opinions on a matter I am debating about.

I currently own a Canon XH-A1 and two rode ntg2 mics, and have been very satisfied. After proper post work the footage is great. But I am getting sucked into the DOF/DSLR craze, with good reason obviously.

I have debated about buying a DOF adapter for the XH-A1, but after seeing prices and reviews, it seems like it isn't worth it when there are other options available. Also b/c I am sick of capturing and want to fully adapt to the instant capture/SDHC aspect.

To get a camera as good as the XH-A1 with those features is way beyond what I can spend.

So I have tossed around options, and need some opinions from you, if it's no trouble.

With my price range, I am thinking about getting the body of a T2i(like everyone else), a Canon 50mm 1.8/f prime lens,, and a H4n audio recorder.

I know of the advantages and disadvantages of the DSLR's, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me, but at the same time, I feel it's a waste b/c I really don't plan on utilizing the photography aspect the camera has. So I'd lose a lot of the functions and smooth mobility and all that of a camcorder.

So I thought about the possibility of buying a fairly inexpensive consumer camcorder that shoots in the exact same quality as the t2i for video, and also has digital capture..but then I'd be absent of any DOF. So then I thought about purchasing a DOF adapter for a more inexpensive camcorder, since they tend to be cheaper than those for the prosumer's like the Xh-A1. So I'd get the same quality, DOF ability with focusing.

I'd lose manual aperature adjustment, but I can live with that. Unless are there consumer cams with that?

With both options, my budget of around 1000 would be met. I'm just not sure which is more practical and has more longevity.
If anyone goes with the camcorder, what are some good ones that people have been having success with?

Thank you

I personally prefer the interface design of the 7D, but that might be out of your price range.

Keep in mind that due to the 1.6 crop factor, using the 50mm lens with it will be the equivalent of using a 75mm lens, zoom-wise. You'll want to pick up a 35mm prime as well -- this is the 50mm equivalent on a 1.6 crop-factor camera.

No camcorder in the $1,000 range is even slightly comparable to the video quality you will get with the T2i. There's just no debate on that. The 7D is great, if you're a photographer, but video-wise, the differences are negligable. escher, the fact that you mention the crop-factor makes me wonder if you come from either a photography or 35mm background. The reason I say this is because the crop-factor is a moot point for people who come from a camcorder background (or, who are completely new to this). Nevertheless, I agree with your point -- I don't think it'd be wise to rely solely on a 50mm prime, with either the T2i or the 7D. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't get something wider. escher mentioned 35mm; I'd recommend 18mm.

No camcorder in the $1,000 range is even slightly comparable to the video quality you will get with the T2i. There's just no debate on that. The 7D is great, if you're a photographer, but video-wise, the differences are negligable.

This is very true, and I am a still-photographer as well. I haven't used the T2i, but I owned the non-video Rebel and absolutely hated the control/button layout -- very frustrating to use, hence my 7D recommendation. The video from both of these cameras is stellar.

escher, the fact that you mention the crop-factor makes me wonder if you come from either a photography or 35mm background. The reason I say this is because the crop-factor is a moot point for people who come from a camcorder background (or, who are completely new to this).

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with a full 35mm frame, but knowing the crop factor issues is crucial when choosing lenses. 50mm is often regarded as a "normal" lens, but on a crop factor camera it's more of a telephoto and if one doesn't have a good wider lens they'll run into problems when filming. If you want a normal lens on a crop factor camera, it's handy to know that 35mm is in the right area.

Most of the literature on lenses is written from a 35mm frame/sensor perspective, so I've gotten into the habit of manually multiplying the focal length by 1.5 (easier to do in my head than 1.6) so I can get a better sense of what any given lens will look like on my camera. I think it's a good habit for any DSLR shooter to get into.

Nevertheless, I agree with your point -- I don't think it'd be wise to rely solely on a 50mm prime, with either the T2i or the 7D. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't get something wider. escher mentioned 35mm; I'd recommend 18mm.

The stock kit lens is 18-55mm at can shoot at f3.6 at its widest, so it's not bad for most situations. I switched that lens out for a 15-85, but it's the same basic idea. I'd love to have an 18mm prime but haven't found one that doesn't cost as much as elective surgery. Have any recommendations?

Back