• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Lost in Time

This is the movie that got all of this started. Everything I'm doing right now is directly attributable to my experience with this film. It's my first "real" short (my true first short, one I've posted on here before, was seriously limited by strict rules).

I wasn't even supposed to be taking this class. It was for sophomore film students. I got in, by permission of the instructor, because most of what was instructed in the freshman-level class I had already learned, while practicing documetary-making, as a student of anthropology. So there I was, the only non-film-student, and by the end of the class, I was in an almost tutorial position with my classmates. This film ended up being selected by the school as the best example of the sophomore level of filmmaking (and there were other classes), to be exhibited at the yearly student film-festival. This was a major confidence-boost.

More importantly, I had SO MUCH FUN making this movie. After making this, I knew THIS is what I wanted to do for a living. There was no looking back from "Lost in Time". I love looking back on this film, laughing at the things that work, as well as the things that don't work. So, with no further ado, my most cherished prize --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fy6UHUrIo

(I'm not embedding it, cuz I prefer that you watch it expanded to your full screen.)

I liked it. The end was predictable, but most time travel movies are. You did get permission to use the NFL and the other brands littered throughout in your no-budget short film, right? RIGHT?

You did get permission to use the NFL and the other brands littered throughout in your no-budget short film, right? RIGHT?

Fuck no! It's a student-film, made for a student audience. In this instance, copyright can suck it. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for watching. There is a sequel in the works! :lol:

King Kong 2?!!?!

Just thinking through that plot gives me a headache! :D Time travel movies are serious mind-bitches.

I thought that was actually pretty good. The dialogue was really good on the whole and I actually liked the circular story. I don't think the ending was too predictable, certainly I only realised what was going to happen when they were in that wasteland. Obviously the sound was the problem (as I'm sure you know), at the beginning I thought you were going for the radio effect on the dialogue. But that's just equipment limitations, so all in all, I though it was pretty good.

I'm watching this later, Cracker. It's 7:42am, i daresay if i laugh now, i'm tired enough that i'd fall right back asleep. I have football in sixty-minutes! Awaiting to be kicked and threatened by the middle aged. Marvelous.

Eager to see this.

Also, how is the edit going on "Anti-hero"? I know you've got some ADR to do, but how is the runtime looking?

Hey, thanks for the kind words, all.

Don't take no crap from those old-farts, Papertwin!

"Antihero" is 84 minutes long (credits included). Currently working on color correction/grading, and audio editing, while my composers work on the score. Graphics artist is about to start work on opening titles and chapter cards. I think we're probably not going to meet my original self-imposed deadline of Dec. 1st for completion. I must have this thing in the can by Jan. 1st, so that I can make submission deadline for Seattle International Film Festival. All of my family is out there, so that fest is not just in the top-10 of USA's festivals, but for me it's personal. Still working towards early December completion, but it ain't likely.

That was grand, CF. I didn't expect the use of the vehicle, which i yelped at its near-miss. Student movies and stunts are not friends.

It looked like alot of fun.

You have to make the deadline, a film-festival showing with your family would be brilliant.

Have you shown your edit to another film-maker? You should choose somebody you trust and have them go through your cut. A second opinion is always wise when editing your own work.

Just a precaution be it you're festival bound.

That was grand, CF. I didn't expect the use of the vehicle, which i yelped at its near-miss. Student movies and stunts are not friends.

It looked like alot of fun.

You have to make the deadline, a film-festival showing with your family would be brilliant.

Have you shown your edit to another film-maker? You should choose somebody you trust and have them go through your cut. A second opinion is always wise when editing your own work.

Just a precaution be it you're festival bound.

Thanks, Papertwin,

Oh sweet, I'm glad the car shot worked for you. You must've been watching it without it blown-up to the full size, though, cuz there's a big glaring line going through the middle of the shot that reveals the location of the split screen.

The bow-and-arrow almost shooting my friend in the face was also split screen, but that one is seemless, because we controlled our own lighting. The movement of clouds outside is what I didn't think of, making it impossible to match up the shots perfectly.

You're right -- I need to show the rough cut to at least one other filmmaker. I've already done this, but that other filmmaker was my boom-op, so he's biased, of course. Other than that, the only people who've seen it are my two leads, and my two composers. Locally, I know some other filmmakers, but to be completely frank, they're not ideal to review this project. I should find somebody, though.

Cheers!

I've finished most of my tafe stuff now so I'm almost done for the year. I still have two exams, but I've done all the preparing I'm gonna need for them, which means I'm back on Indietalk :D

That was a good short Cracker. The sequal should be cool. With better lighting and a better camera I can imagine it would have been even better. Good luck on the next installment.

But, wait. He invented a time machine, and had a journey, but then he decided not to invent it and play video games instead? Do we need to have another discussion on plausibility? :D

But, wait. He invented a time machine, and had a journey, but then he decided not to invent it and play video games instead? Do we need to have another discussion on plausibility? :D

Everytime the future changes because of time travel another alternate universe is created.

Lol. I like that. You definitely have a thing for writing natural dialog.

But I totally cringed when the dude fired the arrows and the near-hit with the car. That could have gone soooo wrong :no:

Star-dates. :lol:

Everytime the future changes because of time travel another alternate universe is created.

According to sci-fi novelist Robert Heinlein besides alternate time-lines even fiction stories can be an alternate universe, which he explored in his novel The Number of the Beast. Want to visit Oz? Our universe line would be Neil Armstrong, as the "real" universes are designated by the first man on the moon. Oh, and since time travel machines are in novels you can go to that novels universe and use their time machine...

BTW, according to Heinlein The Number of the Beast is not 666 but sixth to the sixth power (46,656) to the sixth power (46,656 times itself six times) - which is the ultimate number of alternate universes.

Oh, I love that we are debating the plausibility of this time-travel scenario. It's not supposed to make sense. It's supposed to be a paradox. But, time-travel is an unknown, so I guess you can view it however you please.

But I totally cringed when the dude fired the arrows and the near-hit with the car. That could have gone soooo wrong :no:

Nobody was ever in any danger. Both of those shots were captured with split-screen. We locked the camera down and pressed record. Had my brother stand on the left, aim and shoot the arrow (with nobody else in the shot), then had my friend duck and run, as if an arrow were aimed at him. Put the two shots together in post (same shot, technically, but each side of the image was recorded at seperate times). Used the same method for the shot just before it, in which the arrow lands about a foot away from his head, and also with the car outside. The inside shots are pretty much seamless -- you can't tell that they are split-screen, unless you look really really hard. The outside shots, however, you can totally see a line in the middle of the screen (perhaps it's easier to spot if you pause).

Thanks for the compliments, everybody. Oh, and rockerrockstar, the sequel will be feature-length, and the only way I'll even consider making it is if we can get funding (cuz it's an Action Movie). Dready, remember the mistaken-identity "Man Who Knew Too Little" time-travel idea? That's "Lost in Time 3".

Back