T2i using FD lenses ?? Adorama adapter

I just got my box of FD primes, put on the adapter and VIOLA - Major buzzkill... Cannot focus beyond 2 feet, the adapter from Adorama ( CZFDEOSA ) does not have any glass in it . My Adorama sales rep told me this adapter would work, it says so on the website. I called Adorama up and they said possibly need a different adapter w/ glass...

GRRRRRRR all the youtube vids show glass in the adapter. I read the glass in the adapter was for macro.. remove the glass for regular use...

Unless Im doing something wrong here..... OK what am I doin wrong ??

Last edited:
from what I read it wont work without glass, and the glass is just going to suck the quality out.. so most folks say its so bad that its not worth it.... of course I have motive.. im looking for an FD 80mm or a fast wide or even a a marcro for use on my Letus.. got one for barter\sale? PM me..

its a problem with the focal plane distance. The FD lens was closer to the image plane then the current opening ion the DSLR.. so unless you can get your lens INSDIE the T2i youll never get the focus right.. and even then Im just guessing...

as it turns out you can run old manual Nikon lenses without glass adapters very well on the T2i. This is because the Nikon's have a larger distance between the element and the focal plane so all that is needed is to push the lens further away from the T2i sensor.. easy as pie..

(I just read that.. makes sense as I can do that with my FD mount Letus too!)

As wheatgrinder says, the FD lenses need to be closer to the sensor than EF mount cameras allow, so you won't be able to focus to infinity without an optical adaptor. However, this isn't really worth it unless you've invested a huge amount of money in FD glass - you'll lose light, a fair bit of image quality, and the adaptor basically acts as a multiplier (approx. 1.26x) so your image is cropped, which is more of a problem on a 550D than on a 5D.

If you want to use manual lenses, there are plenty to choose from - Nikon, M42/Pentax screw, Olympus OM, Leica R… you might need to read up on which lenses are bargains, but you can definitely get some nice glass for relatively little money.

Hey, IndieBudget!

I use some old M42-mount lenses with my Canon 7D. The metal M42-to-EOS adapter was something like $12 on Ebay... and I nabbed a nice, fast (f1.4) 50mm lens for around $60 or so. Lots of really decent M42 mounts to choose from.

As mentioned, there are other options - just wanted to share my two cents. ;)

ah ha.. along those lines I picked up a minolta 50mm f1.4 for $5! Attached to a camera no less at my local goodwill.. plus I got some other 200mm huge thing again.. cheap.. any of you folks want to trade.. anything.. for em?

Keep in mind, you still get what you pay for.

The reason some lenses cost thousands is because they're crazy good. Even Canon's L series glass only let's 18mp of data through. On the 5D (22 mp sensor) it just blurs the extra detail. The nicer Zeiss lenses are supposed to be sharper.

Cheap lenses are ok when you shoot constantly and can't afford nicer lenses. If you only shoot here and there (95% of film makers) then spend the same money renting the better lenses, it's very much worth it.

Keep in mind, you still get what you pay for.

The reason some lenses cost thousands is because they're crazy good. Even Canon's L series glass only let's 18mp of data through. On the 5D (22 mp sensor) it just blurs the extra detail. The nicer Zeiss lenses are supposed to be sharper.

Cheap lenses are ok when you shoot constantly and can't afford nicer lenses. If you only shoot here and there (95% of film makers) then spend the same money renting the better lenses, it's very much worth it.

This is very true, but 1) a lot of these lenses are being sold off cheap because they're not wanted/people don't know their true value/can no longer use them, and 2) while it's still important to have good glass, we're only dealing with a maximum of 2.1 MP. Having played with a few L lenses on my 550D I'd love to own some, but it's not very realistic… and besides, they don't have hard focus stops :)

ah ha.. along those lines I picked up a minolta 50mm f1.4 for $5! Attached to a camera no less at my local goodwill.. plus I got some other 200mm huge thing again.. cheap.. any of you folks want to trade.. anything.. for em?

Congratulations, but you do realize that with Minolta MC mount lenses you´ll run into the same problem you´ll run in with Canon FD and Pentacon P6 for that matter? It´s either no focus to infinity, correction glass or surgery: http://www.cogitech.ca/Rokkor/index.html

Not being adaptable to digital cameras is the main reason why some good glass goes dirtcheap these days and if you don´t have a certain amount of expertise in this arena, you´d better expect a deal to good to be true to be exactly that.

When Canon released EF lenses back in the 80s, they for a limited time made FD/EF adapters with Canon glass. They're now quite rare, expensive, and to be honest not very good due to the optical element... There's really no good/cheap way to adapt FD for EF, which is why FDs go for so much less used...

Back