• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Frontier - Prelude to Darkness *Sci-fi Webseries*

This is a series I've been working on for the last year, recently with a couple more people onboard we decided to redo the entire thing in HD so that we can produce a downloadable dvd off the web - so this is Chapter 1 of the remake. At the moment it has a temp score - we just got a composer onboard who is going to be doing all our music :D So hope you like it!

Keen to hear any at all feedback :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbOqkxPQ-vA

Lewis Roscoe

getting a definite "Battle Star Galactica" vibe from the space battle shots.. love those POP zooms and camera movement..

I didn't have sound ... so I cant comment on that aspect or much of the story.. but I really like it.

Nice work visually orchestrating type of battle. I agree with Wheat, cool cam movements too. The cut when he says “Oh my god” towards the end is a bit weird, but no big deal.

-Thanks-

I think for what it is, you've done a man's job. A lot of work has gone into this, and I give you kudos.

I think you've nailed a big budget 'feel', with very low production value and amateur modeling and Flash work. You've got a lot of classic space shots, angles, and situations going on...taken from the best I'm sure.

The only thing I would say is keep it up...and while you keep doing these shorts, start improving your 3d modeling and texturing, as well as your Flash animation skills. You've got decent lip sync which is cool...I admire that from an early animation.

I'd work on finding music or creating it...I could be wrong, but I imagine this music is from something else, not your IP. It's good, and it really helps create a bigger feel...but if let's say interest was shown in this as a series, you'd have to nix it and find your own, and if you're not prepared to do that, it could greatly hurt the overall tone and feel of the production.

Texturing...it's too clean. Work on some 'grunge maps.' Dirty the ships up a little...add a few different layers on your texture map (one dominant, and one faded and procedural looking). Unless you want the clean look...then go for it.

Anyway. Nice work. Keep it up.

Thanks everyone for the kind words :) Yes it would be good to get the ships looking just a tad more 'used' - so that's something I'll be working on

Lew

getting a definite "Battle Star Galactica" vibe from the space battle shots.. love those POP zooms and camera movement..

I didn't have sound ... so I cant comment on that aspect or much of the story.. but I really like it.

Yeah I love the camera pop zooms too - gives it that gritty feel that BSG had - very inspirational :)

Lew

Totally Awesome !!!! love the flavor, love the style, great job, kept my interest.

Only pick was opening took too long.

I'm not into animation, but I watched the first couple of parts (just past the guy hitting the commander and getting released from the brig) and thought that the writing was very good. The voice acting isn't too bad, either. Good job!

Totally Awesome !!!! love the flavor, love the style, great job, kept my interest.

Only pick was opening took too long.

Hi Indie, thanks for the praise, yes the intro titles is about a minute I think, as everyone volunteered I sorta felt the obligation to mention them all :) But I'm really glad you enjoyed it - working on chapter 2 now :)

Lew

You can go lots of good places with the animation. I do like that aspect.

Tbh, though, I had no idea what was going on - because there's no background or context.

There's a 7.5 minute video of combat (and random damsel in distress) in what is supposed to be an Episode 1, but there's no context.

Who is fighting who?

...and why?

...and where...

...and why should I (as viewer) care...

Spaceships flying into combat against other ships is good - if there's a reason for it. I've watched the video a few times, and I still can't figure out why anyone is shooting anyone else.

That's a loooooong time to ask people to watch, with no payoff... especially since it's supposed to be a web-series, and that demographic has a pretty short attention span.

this is Chapter 1 of the remake

Link to original? :cool:

You can go lots of good places with the animation. I do like that aspect.

Tbh, though, I had no idea what was going on - because there's no background or context.

There's a 7.5 minute video of combat (and random damsel in distress) in what is supposed to be an Episode 1, but there's no context.

Who is fighting who?

...and why?

...and where...

...and why should I (as viewer) care...

Spaceships flying into combat against other ships is good - if there's a reason for it. I've watched the video a few times, and I still can't figure out why anyone is shooting anyone else.

That's a loooooong time to ask people to watch, with no payoff... especially since it's supposed to be a web-series, and that demographic has a pretty short attention span.

Link to original? :cool:

Hi Steve, yes very good point, when I started the project early 2009, the first thing I released was an introduction with a background story, please remember I made these a long time ago and the animation starts out very crap lol, but here they are: (the beginning background story + the first 3 parts - there are 13 parts in total)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Un_H5rEa2c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCq4MdV_ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fgb8j4YHW0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6bUWinOp4

I wont post them all up here as it would be a massive post

But hope that answers some questions, there are alot of changes I'm wanting to make with the remakes such as:
Removal of all F-bombs and less swearing
Better animation, more detail
More work on the dialogue

Cheers,

Lew

I'm not into animation, but I watched the first couple of parts (just past the guy hitting the commander and getting released from the brig) and thought that the writing was very good. The voice acting isn't too bad, either. Good job!

Thanks scoopicman, that's alot of praise considering you're not into animation :)

Lew

But I am into sci-fi. Your story and characters are very good. In fact, you hit the "human factor" better than a lot of movies.

Awesome exciting update coming soon - I'll let Lewis make the official new post on it. :tongue:

Meanwhile... hellz yeah! The project keeps getting better & better! :abduct:

Back