when to start casting?

hey hey!

i have a simple question but one that i've been trying to find an answer for.

about 2 weeks ago i happened to come into the company of an old friend who just by a stroke of luck is also very much into film making and he also has his on high def camera, brilliant i say! i showed him a short film which i wrote a while back and he loved it, we've been planning how to make it since, brilliant i say again!

its all well and good, great actually! but he seems very preoccupied on casting and finding actors who can pull off some of the performances the script needs, and is insisting on actively searching for them at performing art schools and centers, holding auditions and whatnot asap.

but my thoughts would be that we should maybe figure out other things that are essential to the actual capture and production of the film, like locations, props, equipment, MONEY!! etc, before we start getting other people involved, when really we don't have a set in stone plan of action just yet.

so my question is, at what stage of pre production should we be casting?

thanks
xoxo

Preferably, you want to ensure the ability to give your actor- infact, anybody you employ -exact dates, as of when they'll be needed. This will be beneficial to you, as you could plan, giving only an estimation of the shoot to discover they're no longer available on the dates provided.

So let them know exact details. If you do believe however, that there may be a reshedule, inform them prior to this. It will save you being disgruntled when your Actor, or Sound Recordist tells you he's busy, leaving you to reorganize or start searching again.

Finding your talent should be the latter of your preperation, that's not saying to not begin your search, i urge you to do so. But be professional, and organize the shoot, crew, locations, before making empty promises.

It's a juggling act. So start working!

Welcome to Film-making

:)

Last edited:
As soon as I know exact shooting dates and deadlines and what the budget is to pay the actors I put the casting call out. On the project we're working on now (starts shooting in less than 2 weeks), we found our male lead on the first casting session. It took 3 casting sessions and callbacks to cast the female lead.

I like to do it as soon as I can, because a talented actor can help define some of the sets/costumes etc as you work with him to define the character.

While you're doing that, you can be scouting, finding props, hiring crew etc.

But yes, knowing the shooting days and what you're paying has to come first, because it's a waste of your time and the actor's time to go through an audition process only to find out the they're our of town for the day/week/month of your shoot, or to be turned down or an issue arise because of pay. Be very clear, no-pay is ok as long as you're up front about it and you make everyone understand (and sign waivers).

like locations, props, equipment, MONEY!! etc,
Backwards. Money first, location availability second, shoot
dates third; then things like props and equipment. Then
you cast.

The most unprofessional thing an excited filmmaker can do
is cast their project before they know exactly when they will
make their movie. The exception being when one is casting
their friends. I understand that the excitement of jumping in
is overwhelming, but putting actors through the audition
process without even knowing when or where you are shooting
is unprofessional.

What if it takes 6 months to raise the money? And what if,
during those six months you and your friend find a better actor?
Of if the perfect actor is not available for your shoot six months
after the audition?
so my question is, at what stage of pre production should we be casting?

After you have everything in place; the money, the location and
the shoot dates. Then you begin the casting process. If your friend
feels finding actors who can pull off some of the performances the
script needs will take several months, then set your shooting dates
several months away. But do not subject actors to the casting process
on the HOPE that you will get the money together and find the time
to shoot.

Im doing my stuff no-budget and the talent can be flakey ( don't blame them really ) , so I cast fairly close to the shoot dates, that way they have less time to get something bigger & better. I just finished casting today Nov 16th for shooting to take place Dec 9 - 12th.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
Back