Getting kids to act.

How would you or how do you direct children when acting? How do you make them act? How does it work when the story is a bit too much for their age? Do you guys tell the whole story, no matter how deep and complicated it is for them? Or do you just tell them what to do without them asking questions?

Give them a situation, that is on a level they can understand, that ellicits the reaction you want.
In other words, you can describe all the complicated inner feelings that bring them to some emotional state, or you can say "ok, your puppy just died."

I find out about a situation from their real lives that approximates the situation they are currently in, and then we talk about it, very gently. Just this weekend I had a 7-year old in a dream sequence, and in the dream she is supposed to be slowly disappearing from her father's view, into the woods. So I got down next to her, apart from the crew, and we talked about her first day of school and how she was scared to be leaving her mom for the day for the first time. She remembered, thought about it, and it was visible on her face when I called for action.

Ditto to what's been said. Keep it on their level, but don't talk down to them. Kids are actually a lot smarter and know a lot more than you'd think.

That being said, a huge part of directing children is in the casting.

Kids are more imaginative and courageous than the adults. You just have to talk to them in their language and try to make them relate to their experiences. Once you do, they will give their best shot.

Back