• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Tragedies for Children of All Ages - Short Film

Hey everybody! Please check out my film and let me know what you think! (fair warning, it's 23minutes so it's on the long side for a short film)

http://vimeo.com/8728012

Originally I had conceived of this being the first part in a series of three short films, but I'm way too broke now to shoot the next one any time soon. I had high hopes for this film and tried shopping it around the "a-list" festivals but after going 0 for 6 on my first run through the film festival circuit I've come out supremely battered and humbled.

So! After a few months of self pity and copious amounts of whiskey I decided it was necessary to take another critical look and so I turn to all of you - all constructive criticism is welcome and desired! Thanks beforehand!

Alex

Wow. That looks really cool. I don't have time to watch the whole thing right now; I only checked out the aesthetics. I look forward to seeing the whole thing.

You should re-start the submission process. Keep in mind the big ones get inundated with TONS of applicants, so although it's impossible not to feel bad with rejection, know that this is not a reflection of a poor movie. Lots of really good movies get rejected. Which ones did you apply to?

Very nice. But could it be paced any slower. It was a very interesting story, but I had to fight to keep from turning it off. Could have had something to do with the music, and the soothing sleepy nature of the narator's voice.

Just watched it. Dude. It's fucking awesome. Congrats on making this terrific movie!

I wonder if maybe the reason it fell short of your aspirations is in part due to the narration. Narration can only hold our attentions for so long, and twenty minutes is a really long time. I'd love to see what kind of movie you could make if you used the same visual style, combined with a more traditional narrative, in which the actors actually get to speak, and voiced-over narration is kept to a minimum (if even used at all).

What's your next project? Also, are you going to continue submitting this film to other festivals? Did you submit to Seattle International? SIFF is widely considered one of the ten most prestigious American film festivals, and it is also the largest (by number of films screened). Final deadline for submission is a couple months from now.

Back