• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What instruments do you use?

Any composers out there, I'm wondering what instruments you use for your work. Feel free to share ^_^
I use lots of orchestral stuff (string ensemble, choirs, brass, cellos etc.) for ease of recording because a musician I talk to in the States records for me and it's much easier for him to do that than guitars and things. I also use slightly more obscure stuff on ocassion, for the short I'm working on now for instance, I'm planning to use a music box that will use different melodies at different points.

Short answer - whatever the budget allows.

Longer answer - Composers tend to be fiercely loyal to their favorite sequencing/DAW software. They keep adding libraries as they can afford them. If they play an instrument they will have the ability to record that instrument. They may also have keyboards and outboard sound modules, perhaps some external processing. Most of them wish for a budget that can use real players.

There are a few composers here on IndieTalk, but your best bet would be a composers forum.

Back