You know who this is for..

They could've gotten at least one word right. Tsaheylu and Eywa aren't that difficult to pronounce. They're not even pronouncing Na'vi correctly. Tsk, tsk.

Pretty embarrassing.

I mean I'm embarrassed to have even seen the film, let alone role play it with a bunch of other morons.

I also highly doubt this is a joke.

LMAO! OMG. I needed that laugh today. Thanks for sharing.

But LARPing isn't a joke. It's real. I have a good friend (well, lately an estranged friend) who is heavily into it. When were teenagers, we'd play AD&D and make padded swords to spar. I grew out of it in my twenties, but he still went strong all through his 30s and now into his 40s. Some people really need that disassociation with reality. I get that in a movie theater, but happily step back into the real world when I walk out of it.

These days, I just role play on paper. Role playing was the nexus to my writing aspirations.

Role Models, anyone?

Love that movie. VPTurner, there was a pretty sizeable LARP community in the college town I went to. Like you, there's just no way I could get into doing something like that. That being said, I sort of admire their we-don't-give-a-shit-what-you-guys-think-of-us mentality. These guys had cardboard/duct-tape sheilds and swords, and they'd be right out there in the middle of a very-visible park, playing pretend. Too funny.

Love that movie. VPTurner, there was a pretty sizeable LARP community in the college town I went to. Like you, there's just no way I could get into doing something like that. That being said, I sort of admire their we-don't-give-a-shit-what-you-guys-think-of-us mentality. These guys had cardboard/duct-tape sheilds and swords, and they'd be right out there in the middle of a very-visible park, playing pretend. Too funny.

I used to do that with friends long ago, and actually for a short bit not so long ago when a roommate and I tried making them out of kitesbar (kitespar? think tent poles).

Except we always skip the "role" aspect of it and just wailed on each other with pvc/foam swords until someone decided they had enough and declared themselves dead. Generally there was alcohol involved. :yes:

Good times.

In college we had one pair of boxing gloves appear inexplicable in our place. So many drunken one handed boxing matches.

maybe there are real LARP groups, but this video is definitely a joke, and a very funny one. they probably weren't to concerned about pronouncing the words correctly. maybe that's part of the comedy?

Back