Zoom H1 and my needs

I'm considering the zoom H1 because it mounts onto the t2i. This will work great for me for vacation videos. But I also have the side dream of making a great short film.

Will the H1 leave me wishing I had the h2 or h4n when I start making a short film? or will it be able to get the job done?

Vacation videos? That's what in-cam mics are for. If you're not booming a shotgun mic, I don't really see the point of an external audio recorder, especially for this particular purpose.

Vacation videos? That's what in-cam mics are for. If you're not booming a shotgun mic, I don't really see the point of an external audio recorder, especially for this particular purpose.

I'm filming the vacation videos in a travel channel / Anthony Bourdain type of way. The t2i mic is not that well and has a lot of noise from AGC.

Another option i am considering is attaching the RODE VIDEOMIC using the "hack" for the t2i agc

I see the point...it'll provide far greater sound than the onboard mic. This is exactly why Zoom made it, and made it affordable...for mounting to the camera's shoe and being a great reference mic. I've tried one out and it works great for that purpose. Much better than most cameras' onboard mics.

I don't think it would be practical for use in a small film, though.

Ok, that makes more sense (as far as the vacation videos are concerned). Even if you hack the AGC, the audio quality is still quite poor on the T2i. I assume this is a 1-person crew? A boom with a shotgun would be very beneficial, if it's possible.

I see the point...it'll provide far greater sound than the onboard mic. This is exactly why Zoom made it, and made it affordable...for mounting to the camera's shoe and being a great reference mic. I've tried one out and it works great for that purpose. Much better than most cameras' onboard mics.

I don't think it would be practical for use in a small film, though.

What If I just used it to only record the audio from a good boom mic / shotgun mic (for the short film)

What If I just used it to only record the audio from a good boom mic / shotgun mic (for the short film)

The H1 doesn't have XLR inputs, meaning you would have to use a cheaper mic with a mini-jack on it. This would make your signal prone to interference. Or you would have to use a Juicedlink or Beachtek adapter to convert an XLR signal to mini-jack, and this would be more expensive than just getting the Zoom H4n.

You would get better sound if you used the H1 by itself on a boom.

Back