Purchasing advice for upcoming expedition

I am preparing several hiking trips around the world through some of the most brutal terrain on earth. I am looking to make a Survivorman-style one man self-produced documentary as I cross the trails.

As knowledgeable as I am about picking out all of my proper survival gear and clothing, I don't know much about camcorders.

I am looking to spend no more than say, $5,000 on a camcorder. I need something that is relatively lightweight and compact enough to put in my backpack, which will have to compete for room with all of my other gear in there. I will be away from civilization for weeks at a time, so this is the foremost consideration.

I am looking for a more professional-grade camcorder, and sound quality is a must. Also, something that records onto a more compact medium, I won't have the room to deal with tapes.

Any advice on where to look? Resources I should look into? Technology I should research? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-GCW

Are you going to have access to power or a computer to dump memory cards on a regular basis?

If you don't go tape, you'll need A LOT of storage media or a computer to unload too. Have you thought about HDV? Very small and cheap tapes.

If you're not using tapes you'll be spending a fortune on solid state memory. If you're going to be away from power for weeks it might be worth looking at solar powered chargers, but I've no idea how effective they are or even if you'll be able to use them when and where you travel.

I have edited three backpacking documentaries. Not in the
“Survivor Man” genre but solo hikers on long journeys.

The camera I would recommend is the JVC GY-HM100. It’s a small
camera with an excellent lens and a nice microphone. It records to
inexpensive SDHC cards. I have used this camera to shoot footage
for “The Amazing Race”.

You could also take along the very small, quite good, Flip UltraHD
for shooting what is called “B Roll”. You will run out of storage
space quickly with that small camera (about 2 hours of footage)
but is would be great for shooting yourself shooting footage with
the JVC or for capturing unexpected moments. That’s something
distributors really like.

Back