Directing In A Silent Film?

For the first short I'm gonna do, it will most likely be silent, or at least have very minimal dialouge. There are a couple of threads about it dotted around. I'm using 3 friends from my Drama class to act in it ^^
So, now comes the question, I'm directing the short (as well as shooting and composing) and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for directing something silent or with minimal dialouge.

ever heard the saying 'action speaks louder than words' ?
focus on what the person is doing, their facial expressions, body language. you know, talking isn't even the nearly the best form of communication, people talk and never say anything. a glance, a smirk, body language, the act of doing something will help you to convey your story and move it along.

I know what you mean, but the direction I've done in school in my drama lessons has all largely been based on delivery of lines because one of the plays we're doing is very much a talkie (not in a boring way)

I know what you mean, but the direction I've done in school in my drama lessons has all largely been based on delivery of lines because one of the plays we're doing is very much a talkie (not in a boring way)

so you will need to take a different approach. my last two shorts have been without dialogue. it depends on what the scene is about, what message you are trying to get across. you really need to have a story first or a particular scene and then it will be easier to help.

so you will need to take a different approach. my last two shorts have been without dialogue. it depends on what the scene is about, what message you are trying to get across. you really need to have a story first or a particular scene and then it will be easier to help.

I have a plot and also an order of the scenes too, I just need to work on rehearsing it with my actors.
What were your last two about? :P

Back