I have a camera!

My boyfriend has lent/given me his camera! It's a Panasonic NV-GS25. He bought it a few years ago and has barely used it. Only probably is I have no idea how to use it and it doesn't have instructions. *googles*

I'm so excited cause as some of you know very well I am quite low in the funds & I didn't think I'd be able to afford a camera any time soon. I just wanted to share my happiness and my excitement with all my IndeTalk friends.

Much love <3 :D

Yeah, he's pretty awesome.
I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get what I record onto the computer though. He couldn't & that's why he hardly used it. Hopefully I can figure it out. I downloaded the manual, so we'll see what it says :D

The instructions don't say anything about it. The only reference to computers is recording still pictures on an sd card and transferring that to the computer. you can transfer the footage to a dvd somehow i think

The instructions don't say anything about it. The only reference to computers is recording still pictures on an sd card and transferring that to the computer. you can transfer the footage to a dvd somehow i think

They wouldn't. Cuz that's not the camera's job. The instructions will be found in whatever editing software you're using. I'm assuming your camera has firewire output (that would be really weird, if it didn't). You'll need a firewire cable, and a firewire card (AKA ieee 1394).

Like I said on Facebook, no matter what technology you're using, you'll need to log your footage (meaning, take notes while watching, basically). With miniDV, it's best to log your footage from within your editing software. In addition to taking notes, you'll also mark "in" and "out" points for all of the footage that you want captured onto your computer's hard drive. When you're all done logging the footage, you do a batch capture, then go eat lunch while the computer and camera do their thing.

One little note I just thought of -- every new tape you start, it's good to just press record and let it run for about 30-seconds, before you start shooting anything. Having a little bit of blank timecode recorded at the beginning of your tape will make capturing footage easier.

it has a few different holey things, but the only one that i know what goes in it is the usb one :/ this is waaay too confusing for my very non technical mind. i think i'll try and deal with it tomorrow. right now i'm gonna go lay on my bed and cry :/

Bah! Not confusing; you'll see how easy it is, soon enough. You're looking for the hole that looks like you can plug one of these into it:

6-4.jpg

The smaller plug, on the right, goes into the camera. The larger plug, on the left, goes to the computer. I'm just guessing, but your computer probably doesn't have a firewire input. No problem, you can get a firewire card for something like $20, I think. And cheap cables can be found online.

Now i'm really confused. that just looks like a usb cable. what's different about it? it has a cable like that- i thought it was a usb cable. and it has a hole for it. my computer has usb ports, but how do i know if they're firewire ports if they look the same? :s

It's not that obvious in the picture above, but the big end of that cable is shaped like this:

_________
|________\
|________/

It should be fairly easy to tell it apart from the USB ports on your computer if you do have one :)

Yep, that's it. Before buying it, of course you'll wanna check your computer -- it might have firewire input already.

BTW, nice artwork, chili!

My computer is pretty damn old. I'll have a look now.... Nope.

I feel slightly better now knowing that I am going to be able to put stuff on the computer. Cause otherwise it would be kind of useless lol.

Thanks guys :) Maybe one day someone on here might have a problem I can help with. One day. Maybe. Probably not. I'm gonna go sit in the corner.

Okay, well if you're not gonna mention us by name, will you at least do one of those things where you point to me in the crowd, while walking to the podium?

Cuz, you know, I'll be there, too. "Lost in Time 3", presented in Digital 3D will be picking up all the technical awards, like sound editing and special effects.

Back