• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

When to use music?

I'm planning on composing my own music for any projects I do, just because I compose music as a hobby and I'm getting fairly good at it.
I'm just wondering, at what points would you use music in a movie.
Would it be done to mark a certain moment? Or something entierley different?
I'm not entirley sure what to do when it comes to using music, although I'm fine with writing it.

When it needs it.

Snarky answer I know, but that's my main "rule" on the subject. Sometimes I film with the intent of music going certain places, but more often than not I get the final cut of the film and just "feel" where music needs to go.

Scoring for film is a lot different than pure composing or writing "pop" songs. The job of a film composer is to support the visuals and the story. Stripped down to its basics film scoring is highlighting emotions, propelling action and providing transitions. It just that simple and infinitely more complex.

The error many directors make is to use score to provide emotions that weren't initially captured or intended, or sometimes to use it as a bludgeon.

I am not a fan of wall-to-wall score - especially since it tends to bury my absolutely brilliant sound design!:lol: Actually, I like working with composers being a former musician myself and taking a musical approach to my sound design.

Scoring for film is a lot different than pure composing or writing "pop" songs. The job of a film composer is to support the visuals and the story. Stripped down to its basics film scoring is highlighting emotions, propelling action and providing transitions. It just that simple and infinitely more complex.

The error many directors make is to use score to provide emotions that weren't initially captured or intended, or sometimes to use it as a bludgeon.

I am not a fan of wall-to-wall score - especially since it tends to bury my absolutely brilliant sound design! Actually, I like working with composers being a former musician myself and taking a musical approach to my sound design.

(This post is 100% unoriginal content. Original post is from someone smarter, more creative and better looking than my self)

One thing I'd add to the rest; once you've decided on where the music goes, make the music as simple as possible. Scoring is much more about timbre (the actual tone) than anything else. A solo violin or a deep pad is sometimes the only thing you need. Needless flourishes in instruments generally only serve to detract from the visual. A good soundtrack does not stick out, it should come and go without much ado unless you want that specific effect.

Back