Acting & Directing?

Wonder what people's standpoint on the director (and what other production roles they may fill) acting in a movie. I know some directors have done it before, like Shinyu Tsukamoto & Orson Welles.
But I'm wondering where people stand on it, not even the lead role, but like a main supporting one.
Does it come across as being quite arrogant or not?

I've worked (as DoP) with a director who was also the lead, and I wasn't particularly enamoured with it if I'm honest. With more experience and a bigger crew it could've gone a lot more smoothly, but as it was I think it added stress and shooting time - the director wanted to watch back shots with him in to check his work.

It sounds a lot more feasible if you were a supporting role - though I'd try to avoid scheduling your scenes near the beginning, so as to be more familiar with your cast and crew before you step back a little bit.

I don't think it comes across as arrogance at all, but what I didn't like - from a DoP's point of view again - was the lack of creative input I had into things. When the director is also the writer and the lead I think it can be quite difficult to get your opinion heard - I've only got one stake in the film, versus his three, if that makes any sense.

Somehow, Eastwood pulls it off, brilliantly. But I imagine his dual-duty shoots are probably not exactly time-efficient.

Me? Honestly, I don't know why you would want to do it. Personally, I think it's more fun to just focus on one job, and I look forward to never having to wear more than one hat.

I would consider it, if only because I enjoy acting and would love to play some of the characters I've made up. But aside from making my job harder, I don't think I have the confidence to act. So I guess that's a no for me.
Just in case any one was wanting to know even more about me :P

Me? Honestly, I don't know why you would want to do it. Personally, I think it's more fun to just focus on one job, and I look forward to never having to wear more than one hat.

Totally. I love being operator and DoP, but otherwise the fewer responsibilities the better.

(Not because I'm being lazy, but the fewer jobs you have to do the better you can do them.)

Back